[MEL] The Hour

bwahahahahahaha, stop flirting with me, boy!

New topic on the front page, only other thing to mention is… If it rains, we will cancel and just do the normal Saturday ride.

Hope to see you all there :slight_smile:

Some more reading material:

Failure Magazine: Graeme Obree
Professional cycle racing palmar?s: The Hour Record

And Anna Wilson busting out a UCI record @ the Vodafone:

:slight_smile:

For those that care, here are the current records from fixed.org.au members

And some good advice from Nath …

Just out of curiosity, how long is the track?

333 1/3 metres. So… 3 laps is 1km.

haha. nice work Des.

Nice work guys, it’s a shame that I can’t join. :expressionless:

heh, whatthekoon, you’re hilarious :wink:

Hope to see you fellas there.
I’m racing in a regatta on the yarra, and it’ll depend on what time my races are.

YEAH I’LL BE THERE FOR SURE.

NOW I WILL BE ABLE TO KEEP UP WITH MY 85 RATIO

DAMO

Hmmm… 85 inches into the last corner/front straight headwind. For an hour.

I’m still undecided which gear to run.

I’ll be using the same gear as the street bike. 69 inches, up from 65 inches the last time I tried the hour. Hoping to break 100 laps this time. Baby steps …

If you can be bothered to swap gears, I’m guessing 10 inches more than what you run on the street should still be comfortable to push at a regular cadence for an hour.

I’ll be using the same gear as the street bike. 69 inches, up from 65 inches the last time I tried the hour. Hoping to break 100 laps this time. Baby steps …

If you can be bothered to swap gears, I’m guessing 10 inches more than what you run on the street should still be comfortable to push at a regular cadence for an hour.
[/quote]

I’ve been thinking about gears and such too. Then this morning over a coffee with Pete and ndf I (or maybe we) decided to just ride a damn bike. So that’s what I’ll be doing.

OK … as y’all know, the Hour will be run on two sessions. To prevent frequent overtaking and general disruption to your “flow”, I’m suggeting that the two sessions are run based loosely on your bike’s gear inches. So some dude running a monster 100 GI won’t have to overtake someone else running 60 GI every 5 mins.

I’ll be around sat morning organising this.

Cheers
Des

I’ll be coming along although I’ve never sat on my track bike for longer than 15 minutes. I’ll make sure I get my extra-thick knicks out of the cupboard, as well as a 50 chainring.
See you there folks… Horatio

I was interested in this… then I remembered that those pesky long cranks of mine aren’t really Brunswick friendly…

You’re gonna have to come up with a better excuse than that Snufkins! They may not be Coburg/Northcote friendly, but Brunswick is flat - you can easy ride a road bike with 175s on it.

Yes, there was a guy on a Look roadie (if I remember correctly…) doing laps while we also did some circle work there during last weekend’s Sat ride.

Long cranks are not a problem at Brunswick. Just don’t do sudden sharp turns up the banking. You won’t be doing that while riding the Hour anyway. If you’re really worried, I have some super short 155mm cranks you can borrow :slight_smile:

Des