Melbourne, Fixie Drag Races

Nick (the one with the Tomasini) and Des had suggested some drag races in Carlton. Has anything come about in regards to this?

CraigC

I suggest 1000mt for 100".

drag racing?

i’ll be swapping up to 51x18 then

:slight_smile:

is there a suggested laneway or clear open road in carlton?

n.

how about canning or drummond - there are enough blocked streets that you could put a “marshal” (haHAHA) on a cross street and start/end on a blockage…

Hey that wasn’t my suggestion, that was Des’ alone.

And he had the nerve to say that my idea of a 3 person, fixed tandem was crazy! Bloody cheek!

I don’t think I’ve even got a 100" gear. And you’d probably be hard pressed to get 1000m without a roundabout or a footpath or some obstacle. I guess that’s part of the fun hey?

How about doing it at Albert Park. Plenty of room there. And usually some manbikinis training too.

Sounds like a blast.

Albert Park would be good - along the back straight!

And then a BBQ somewhere.

Alternatively it could be done on the Yarra Bike track after work, going against the traffic to enrage all the angry commuters on their 10K road bikes!!

Wicked!!!

Albert Park sounds good, that part with those semi-permanent blockades would be ideal. Next Saturday perhaps?

And what about a stand-off?

STANDOFFFFF.

you mean like a game of chicken!!!

ha :wink:

Could we leave it till the weekend of the 25th. I’m outta melbourne both weekends till then!!!

Lats

Lygon st going away from town, at the lights next to the servo, up and over the hill and then down beside the cemetary. At 5:30am. Any takers?

I’ve got an idea for an exciting family event.

• Put a small gear on.
  • Drive to Mt Donna Buang.
  • Climb up Mt Donna Buang (~17km).
  • Get to the top and climb the tower for a really nice view and a short rest.
  • Remove chain.
  • Roll Down to the bottom. You’ll only need a brake 3 times.

Last time I rode up there (on a geared roadie) I averaged 60km/h on the way down :slight_smile:

And he had the nerve to say that my idea of a 3 person, fixed tandem was crazy! Bloody cheek!

I don’t think I’ve even got a 100" gear. And you’d probably be hard pressed to get 1000m without a roundabout or a footpath or some obstacle. I guess that’s part of the fun hey?

How about doing it at Albert Park. Plenty of room there. And usually some manbikinis training too.[/quote]

A 3 person fixie tandem is CRAZY, but not if you’re the Goodies (theirs was geard i think).
The general feeling is Albert Park at this stage, just a question of when and working out handicaps.

CraigC

Interesting idea.

A good climb that one. And a great roll back down!!!

I’ll be in on that later in the month.

Massive.

HANDICAPS.

handi cap via number of Cans consummed!!!

How about doing it at Albert Park. Plenty of room there. And usually some manbikinis training too.[/quote]

A 3 person fixie tandem is CRAZY, but not if you’re the Goodies (theirs was geard i think).
The general feeling is Albert Park at this stage, just a question of when and working out handicaps.

CraigC[/quote]

I guess it depends on your interpretation of crazy. I don’t think ‘crazy’ means you shouldn’t do it.

How else would track trials have become a subculture sport eh Rhino?

BTW, Craig, there are at least a couple of Goodies episodes where the bike is fixed. But most of the time it must’ve been SS or maybe 3 speed??

the goodies bike sounds like it might be running the Kevin Bacon Hub.

or maybe thats where the Quicksilver creators got the idea from?

:slight_smile:

n.

would that be the “anything, anywhere, anytime” hub?

I have the 8 episode goodies dvd thingy - if anyone wants a loan I could mail it. You could take some screen grabs, print them out and take it in to shifterbikes “make this for me damnit!”

Nath.

well, this particular hub kind of just morphs into other types of hubs, depending on the requirements of the rider.

for example, as the bike is placed on a hanging bike rack, the cranks are still spinning: fixed

but when he is coming down a san francisco hill, the hub morphs into a freewheel, or back-pedal brake.

then on other occasions, it turns into a 1 to 1 geared bike, so that he can do circus tricks.

it’s an incredible hub, and i hope dan/shifterbikes will be importing them form hollywood sometime soon. i know i’d buy one.

n.

Apparently they’re eccentric too! But that’s gonna mean they’ll cost more than a Rohloff.

It would make a great prize for reaching 100 posts.

Wow, I’ve got 100 posts!!!

hah! 100 posts! from now on, anyone who is on 100 posts, i will respond to all their posts with drivel, so that i never get overtaken (hey, wait on, whats new?)

i already said to rhino, at the rate things are going, i might have to give him the whole site. :wink:

this is my commitment to all 100 post forum members:

when a hub is available that is

A) Eccentric
B) Freewheeling
C) Fixed
D) Auto-1-to-1 gear changing
E) Back-pedal braked
F) Has AI or ESP

I will buy you one. It’s a little bit like the queen sending you a letter when you turn 100. This is a way better deal.

n.

Maybe you can contact Kevin Bacon’s agent and organise congratulatory emails from KB himself. I’m sure he’d be pleased to know that 21 years on, people are deliberately and voluntarily watching Quicksilver.