My Monstercross Kumo

#notvegan

I don’t know about rolling better.

According to bikecalc
700 x 28 = 678mm diameter
650 x 44 = 672mm diameter.

That’s only 3-4mm difference in height, give or take differences due to rim width, squish etc. If anything, the 700c wheelset will give a tiny bit more clearance, which doesn’t matter because the geo is set up for the marginally smaller primary 650b wheels anyway.

ftfy

^^ Magical

Feckin pumped for you man! I just visited Keith this arvo and saw bits of your fork. Crown looks ace.

Zach wins the lolz prize so far.

Boom!

I’ve seen something similar recently and wondered if Keith could make one like it.

Guess that’s answered.

I like this wheelset idea, but I’ll be interested to see which ones you use most. As you say, it’s personal preference, and you won’t have a pair of hetres to swap out to from your RnRs, but I reckon even on paved roads I’d prefer 650b x 42. Harder tubeless though I guess. It’s an interesting concept. It’s going to be a sweet bike regardless.

Are lugs difficult for the geo of this bike? Is it easier to fillet braze then? I have a real soft spot for fillet brazing, but it can be a fair bit more work.

This is the way I see it:
Based on my riding habits and the routes available around here, a road ride has at most 10% dirt, and a dirt ride has at most 10% pave. I reckon I’ll pick up more dirt sections on road rides with this bike, but since I can already ride them on 23s the 28s will be more than enough.
All of my road riding over the past 18 months has been on 23s and there’s hardly been a moment when I wanted something larger, so 40mm is overkill.

I think the wheelsets will get pretty equal usage. I’ll probably retire the current roady once this one comes. I don’t see myself racing anymore.

When you want SRAM Hydro’s, let me know. I ‘may’ know of some…maybe.

I have a question - with the frame being custom built, why the need for such a huge rise/drop in the stem? Surely just make the headtube shorter or longer?
Not being facetious for a change but a genuine question.

easier to change the stem rather then headtube once he gets old/back issues etc ?

Gettin’ extra looooow

Have you heard of enduroallroad 26?

No I haven’t but I don’t want to derail the thread by asking for an explanation.

Bring the angle of the steerer clamp to ~73º et voila the stem is a level -17º?

gettn dat quill stem look.

Just flipit for #fredlife

Super keen to see this stem with the iconic Kumo badge on it.

I’m not sure if there’s going to be anything on the faceplate. There is going to be something just as good though.

Keith brazed the stem last week and finished filing/sanding the brazing today, as a lot of you would have seen on the 'gram

Needless to say, his handiwork is mint.
More mint than the stem, though, is this new technique of engraving and filling with gold. When I saw his first go of this on a knife and he told me he was going to do it on stem caps, I just knew I had to have it.

so so pretty