My new "Hillman"

An Europa I used to have had Gipemme fork ends and drop outs…

did it have similar lugs?

noice boike… mayyyyte. :slight_smile:

so, here’s some close-ups in an attempt to identify my frame

27.2mm seatpost. pretty flat seat stays

Gipiemme dropouts. also of note are the open ends to the chain and seat stays and the “step” between the dropout and the beginning of the seat stays.

fork crown. reynolds 681 tubing

this is not hillman’s phone number. apparently they sold heaps of decals in the 80’s so maybe this is an old number?? if not, i don’t know why it’s there. could it be the number of another shop/maker? google isn’t overly helpful when searching for strings of numbers…

headtube lugs

bottom bracket. no serial number that i can see. is that small hole any indication?

hopefully this helps jog someone’s memory and we can go from there. one of the guys at hillman mentioned it could be a tassie frame, mcbain maybe?

where’s spirito when ya need him!!!

thanks in advance

rolly

those lugs look very similar to my lennie rogers. i’ll take pics later tonight

sweet, very sweet. Good build.

here you go mate, this is my lennie rogers, similar lugs, no serial under the BB, Campagnolo dropouts. seat stay on mine is sealed but other wise quite similar. hope that helps

thanks horse, that’s awesome!!!

lugs look very similar, i’d even say they’re the same. BB looks the same too. only difference i can see are the seat stays, both at the top and bottom. at the top yours are curved, whereas mine are completely flat.yours are sealed at the bottom also, as you mentioned. another difference would be the dropouts, as mine are gipiemme. i think, according to the first link below, that lennie may have been willing to use a mish mash of whatever parts he had around, or where readily available. could explain the differenr dropouts maybe?

only info i can find on lennie rogers frames was here
Australian Cycling Forums • View topic - Lennie Rogers

seems both lennie and the shop are no longer with us. reckon it’d be worth hitting up jim/peter bundy? seems they may have built frames there for a while…

also some pics on flickr that look quite similar to the lugwork we both have.
12092009380 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

thanks mate, really appreciate it :slight_smile:

those lugs are the same as on my lennie rogers. this is from the same builder as horse’s, with campy dropouts, but flat tops to the seat stays.

Lennie Rogers “Superior”

Really nice build anyway. Are the rims Aeros or Aeroheads?

I reckon Aeros.

hey mate

yeah they are aero’s actually(heavymetal was right too). think i knew that but just typed aerohead for some reason?? had to find the original for sale thread to confirm it though!! thanks for the heads up and frame info. i’ll keep digging!!

haha, yeah i think they started queuing the music half way through, but glad you pushed through to the end!

tis lookin real nice. love those hillman decals.

actually, i believe i offered you those wheels before i was in contact with rolly.

hahaha thanks mate!!

thank fuck LukeR didn’t buy them.

no offence LukeR

Nice bike rolly. I’m thinkin of getting some phil hubs. This thread may have pushed me over the ledge…

man so much high flange hate in the thread…

I’m with you man. High flange for the win.

That said, Rolly, you take it out with style.

i don’t know if liking low profile more than high profile necessarily equates to hating them…

reckon i still would’ve bought them if they were high profile. glad they’re not though!!

edit: haha thanks james

That looks so much like my unidenitifed frame. Especially the rear dropout shape and how it looks ‘unfinished’.
Same lugs and no indentifiers on BB. Same forks?

I’m calling the lugs …

Prugnat S4

They could also be Bocama “Competition 83” … there’s not a lot in it.
Bocama ‘Competition 83’
Bocama ‘Competition 83’

Both lugs were widely available, all the rage and used by many builders. Seeing the pics in this thread it’s clear most of the lugs are brazed stock (unmodified). The real clues are seat stay caps, bridges, dropout finishing, vent holes, mitering styles (internal) and stampings. Keep in mind builders used whatever was available, it was a mugs game (low paying) so not uncommon to mix/match lugs, and fittings and serial numbers were often stamped for painters to identify who’s was who’s rather than by builders to signify when/who built it. Also kept the tax man out of it :wink:

Without provenance it’s a guessing game unless you just stick to the facts !!!

thanks spirito, you’ve been a massive help. as you know, i appreciate it and don’t want you getting square eyes trawling through old photos!!

fittings and serial numbers were often stamped for painters to identify who’s was who’s rather than by builders to signify when/who built it

i was told this at hillman actually. it was more for them to ensure they got the right fork/frame pairing when picking up from the painters. maybe i should think about taking out the fork and seeing if there are any clues there. but, like you said, maybe the serial number will prove worthless anyway. hmmm.

azz - looks like the lugs are the same. as spirito mentioned though, i don’t think that’s enough to go on…
fork also looks the same but the fork ends look different, as do the dropouts (only very slightly) and the rear brake bridge!!! top of the seat stays are the same though…

man, this shit is hard!!