Need help on a SS conversion of an old Bennett Supersports

Hi…

I have an old Bennett supersports 10 speeder (mid 1970s?) that I want to go single speed with. It is my first one. Bike is actually in really good nick…

I have been told that because I have an old screw in set up instead of a cassette, I need to get a new back wheel. Apparently this is common with old roadies. Is this true? I always assumed it would be an easy conversion… But then, Im new at this!

Is the bike shop guy just not keen, or is this correct? If so, does anyone know of good cheapie wheels with a flip flop? I was looking at alex rims & stars circle rims on ebay. I have heard the stars ones are not great.

Can anyone help?

probably easiest to just get some wheels of ebay. plenty of cheap offerings.

if you have a screw in hub, then you can use a single speed freewheel and have the wheel re-dished i think.

should be helpful:
Singlespeed Bicycle Conversions by Sheldon Brown

what icecream said, you can take of the screwon cluster and replace with a single freewheel then respace to get the chainline right and redish if you want the wheel to be centered.

or you can just use the old cluster and just take off the gear changing bits.

or if you want fixed you can screw on a track cog and (but not essential) a bottom bracket lockring, but you should have brakes if you do this.

cheapest option is a hundred buck rear wheel, with the freewheel already on there. No headaches either.
Abbotsford cycles has them.

This is the easiest and simplest. It also teaches you a bit on bike mechanics and bike care. After this then you might be able to better decide if a new wheel is what youre after. If you want to ride fixed, then it would be a must.

In Melbourne? Try… http://ponybikes.wordpress.com/

Having done this a few times . the options are

1. Screw on a cog and use axle spacers to adjust the chain line . Cheapest option but from an enginering point of few “a fail” because wheel is almost inevitablely off center. But cheap and quick

2. screw on cog and redish the wheel. Again cheap and if you do it yoursely as cheap as above. Be warned though from my experience reusing the old spokes has lead to multiple spokes failing within the first couple of months . I think it is a change in angle opening up stress cracks in old cheap spokes at the bend or it may just be I am a lousy wheel biulder.

3. Buy a cheap rear wheel

I am all for learning things by doing but at a hundred bucks a throw option 3 has my vote

Thanks guys, I am thinking rear wheel might be the go. This bike has the original steel wheels from the 70s & mucking around with them is probebly going to end in tears!