Nespresso- marketing wank or decent coffee?

I’d be interested to hear from our resident coffee snobs here (users coffee & Blakey!). I’m seeing these machines more and more in peoples houses and at the office.
A colleague made a coffee for me last week and it was okay but nothing memorable.

I’m no coffee expert, but I find the Nespresso concept a tad flawed- isn’t the idea that you want the coffee beans to be roasted and ground as recently as possible? If you have the ground coffee in the little capsules, isn’t the oxidation already occurring, especially since it’s probably ground months ago?

They now have a desktop Nespresso machine:

Pixie

it’s better than instant coffee, and the machines are pretty cheap, but don’t expect amazing results out of it, and you are limited with your coffee purchases

fixed that for you :slight_smile:

these machines are designed for lazy, dumb people who like to claim that they drink “real” coffee, yet can’t be bothered putting in the effort to actually make it.

^ haha yes, I totally agree, it’s textbook closed product- a bit like Apple

mAY BE GOOD FOR THE WORKPLACE YEAH? As in I don’t really have the time to froth milk and prepare coffee.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say decent.

Being a long time drinker of short mac’s, i have to say i have had consistently good results out of these machines.

I too first thought that it was a gimmick and crap, but i was pleasantly suprised.

I spend a lot of my time out on the road, working in supply chain/logistics for maccas, mostly being forced to drink the crap they palm off at McCafe’s. But there doesnt seem to be any real good coffee shops around in Perth that I have found either. Most leave a bitter or burnt taste in my mouth.

I recently went back to sydney, and my folks had one of these… I thought ill give it ago… short black was great. I think it was the purple capsule. A hotel i recently stayed at had one in their restaurant, so i helped myself to a green capsule and was suprised again.

So as far as im concernerd, they are a welcome change from the usual mccafe shit i have to drink, and consistently get it better than most of the coffee shops around here, so i will probably consider purchasing one in the near future sometime.

i fucking love my aeropress. quick, easy to clean and tastes good once you suss out how you like your coffee.

use it at work twice a day and takes no longer than 90 seconds to make.

Wank.

And a massive waste of packaging material.

You’ve got to admit though the anodised aluminium capsules look kinda cool…

High praise indeed lol

Both of the directors at my work have them :wink:

They had them in the last office I was in. Not bad but not great, and certainly a bit of an enviro hazard with all of those little packages ending up in landfill (but then Nestle don’t exactly have the best social or environmental record do they?). Personally I’d rather take 5 minutes out to grind my own beans in my Hario, slam them through the Aeropress and enjoy the full process from A to Coffee rather than hitting a button on a machine.

just going to chime in and say there are plenty of great coffee shops in and around perth:
the imp, lincolns, zekka, tiger tiger, boucla, maraschino’s just to name a few. there are plenty more in and around the place, but just have to be savvy when hunting :slight_smile:

i’ll agree it’s no melbourne though.

The one my parents have the Lmissssiono? ($799 one?) is great! Mum also has one at work she found a decent supplier and gets the capsules for around 71c each coffee. Other than the ease, the coffee is good, although limited to the flavours available if your a coffee connoisseur.

As a 23 year old lazy student who drinks coffee from Gloria Jeans and McDonalds, I love it. Quick, easy and some great flavours!

Nespresso? Don’t be a pussy.

Plunger coffee at home. Heaps tasty. Buy beans from your favourite coffee shop. You should get 250g for around the $10 mark. Get them to grind it for you. Tell them you’re using a plunger. They’ll know what setting to use.

Oh and ask them for a single origin. Chances are, it’ll be more delicious than a blend. Stick to singles for black coffee.

Experiment with how much coffee you add to it, eventually you’ll get it tasting just right.

I love the aroma of a newly opened can of International Roast myself.

is been said but i’ll say it again, pure wank, horatio your a melbourne-ite there has to be a decent coffe shop within reach of your work place, i know i saw you at BBB that one time!

[lefty diatribe]

You are correct Horatio, but Nespresso is not just a marketing wank…

The great Nestle corporation does this:
step one - wrap stale coffee in a package of the most energy intensive materials man makes
step two - market said packets of stale coffee it and sell cheap shitty machines
step two - sell it to lazy, selfish humans who want nothing but instant gratification and are too ignorant or stupid to realise that they are buying crap.
step four - lazy selfish humans make what they think is good coffee (look up the difference between a pressurised and an unpressurised espresso brewing system and what pressurisation does for stale coffee) and instead of putting their waste coffee in the compost (or at worst landfill) for it to decompose, they put an aluminum package of organic material in landfill for it to sit as waste forever.

In conclusion: Nespresso coffee is stale before it’s packaged, it creates unnecessary waste and your money goes to a massive international conglomerate instead of to a local coffee roaster or farmer. Nespresso machines are cheap plastic crap that will break in one little way that leaves an otherwise working machine unserviceable and destined for landfill: more waste.

The answer: buy an aeropress, buy a bialetti, buy a plunger (and most importantly, buy a grinder and FRESH beans)

Or, be extravagant and buy a Lelit Combi (or a Rancillio Silvia and Rocky grinder) and have great coffee for many, many years to come. Both those machines will last forever and are fully serviceable.

[/lefty diatribe]

FYI - I have used all of the coffee making methods I’ve descried above and own a Lelit Combi.

decent coffe