New User

Hey guys just thought id introduce myself.

I have a Malvern Star L.A 84 I bought for $30, bought a new back wheel and a chain.

Love riding it at the moment.

Just wanting to look a bit prettier

My first question is if anyone is familiar with these bikes will these forks fit if I go down to a 700c wheel on the front?

Buy Fixie Single Speed Full CR-MO Road Bike Lugged Fork 1 700c" | CD

Thanks

Olly

Your bike probably has a 1" threaded fork. That new fork also looks to be 1" threaded (certainly 1"). So it would be fine and your headset and stem will work with it. A 1" threadless fork would also probably work on the frame but you’d need a new headset and stem.

If the frame is 27" (which I take is correct?) you may be able to simply run 700c wheels with your current forks and with long-reach brake calipers (57mm long reach are readily available, and Tektro even make an extra-long reach 73mm caliper).

They might work, but I wouldn’t bother.

Do you have any way to stop your bike?

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the quick reply, this is really helpful thanks, might look into it.

Thanks.

I just really don’t like the curve on the current forks, think it will look more sleek with a straight fork.

Yeah its fixed so just skid or slow down peddling

The reason I ask is because you have no brakes or foot retention.

Duh JLN! Don’t you know anything about fixies!

TC: I rode mine last night and spent pretty much the whole time wishing I was on my CX bike.

Actually GH, I think you’ll find that fixie riders can’t stop nor do they want to.

Polishing a turd. It will look sleeker if you sell it and spend money on something of better quality and closer to what you’d like it to be. Leave it as is, keep it as a beater. Spend your $'s on a better quality.

^Listen to this guy, he knows what he’s on about. Honestly.

Conversions on cheap frames should only be done to make a bike rideable, investing anything more than the bare minimum and you’re just throwing your money away. I’m not gonna tell you to go out and buy a shitty Cell bike. Just save your pennies, read up about what are good track bikes, roadies or beardos, and start some ‘saved searches’ on eBay.

Welcome to FOA :slight_smile:

Read through the “new buyers guide” like spirito said I’m sorry mate it’s not worth it just buy a $299 cell

This is like déjà vu all over again.

Nah. Spend your $299 on fenders, rack and brakes +/- 700c conversion +/- freewheel. Then it’d fully beardo sweet…

Look at you with all your accents.

Cut to the chase and just go out and get a top end carbon with electronic 11 speed. You’ll think it’s expensive, but it will save you 5 years and a lot of money by bypassing fixie, track, cx, retro roadie and beardo/rack builds.

Just fucking walk

yeah fuck you man, walk! dont you fucking know anyone who didnt know about this shit before fucking 2010 is a fucking asshole. like fuck honestly, how fucking dare you want to ride a bike

Exactly

Haha, Cheers guys.

Cba pissing about with it tbh, got some toe cages to go on and then just gonna save for something decent