newbie fixie build

Mates Jellybean bike. He would have clocked up a few kms over the two years he has had it for; probably more kms than most Jellybean bikes would see. But still, this just shouldn’t happen. He’s posted it to their Facebook page, no response as yet.

I wish I’d known about this forum or one similar when I was first starting out. I believe there is nothing more valuable than learning from your own mistakes, although learning from the mistakes of others is a much smarter and more affordable way of learning.

building one from scratch would be fun, but can be expensive, depending on the quality of parts you want to use. It is good to start with something old/cheap, because you will make mistakes, while learning.

$199 is a bargain price for the cell, they usually have them for $480 and let you configure everything.

I suggest you get the cell, and tweak little things, change some handlebars, grips, pedals, brakes, remove brakes?

And then with the left over parts you can play around and start to rebuild the old bike frame.

The tools can be exensive as mentioned. I went a bit nuts, I bought a bike repair stand and a $240 tool kit, all for my Reid griffon which I paid $255 for.

You’re a fool,
Buy a new cell, then strip it all down and re paint it then re assemble,
It will be much better than what you have here.

People are not going to want to help you with the re build process as we get some on like you once a month or more wanting to do this, they ignore our guidance and realize they wasted lots of time and money and still have a shit bike.

Don’t take that the wrong way I’m more than happy to help with questions but this is a loosing battle that none of us want to fight.

I’ve got a better idea, pay cell $199 for the parts and leave the frame out for collection on there curb,
Then you come by pick it up and go wow look what I got curbside,
Then you repaint it play around, put it together.
Then u ride it and smile, girls smile back, the wind blows in your face it feels great, kittens are born flowers blossom, you’re happy.

…alright, buy a fucking cell then.

and please dont do this.

This thread has run its course.

Please see the various new guy threads for reference.

And go to Sheldon and YouTube. Also, google is your friend.