Noob + Locks

Don’t underestimate the strength of cardboard

^if it rains, different story…

Abus is great for your second build. If you already have an abus lock with the plus system, just send the code away and youll get a lock keyed the same. = 2 locks. 1 key

check wiggle or some of the US ebay stores (bellsbikeshop, wheelandsprocket) for good prices on the krypto’s

pity it weighs almost as much as a bike!

+1

i’ve seen the repeated use of one of these tear a back pocket off jeans*.

*NB: not the swedish denim that xBBx prefers.

^^^^^^ Valid point, go the mini from The Wiggles

edit: can’t quote for some reason, quote button broke for me

For the really paranoid rider…

Abus Granite X Plus or the Fahgeddaboudit coupled with a cable or chain are probably going to take the longest to get through and the only two locks I would consider if I went back to london.

It’s also wise to lock your helmet through the bigger D locks if there is any spare space on the bar for a gas powered lever to be plonked in there.

I personally would never go with a cable lock or chain lock on its own- Quickest to get through and least likely the thief will be approached by the public with 3 foot bolt cutters in his hands.

…and keep your key hole facing down for the midnight glue thiefs.

There are endless things you can do to make your bike safer but in the end if a thief wants it enough he’ll get it.

I just take out insurance, get a decent lock and never think about it again.

+1
I use this model and it’s pretty bomb-proof. The downside of course is it weighs a ton!
I think Mini Evo’s are fine for Melbourne, but other cities like you say, NY of London, it might not be enough.

Thanks for the tip prawza.

and thanks guys for the info, really helpful.

I’ve got a Krypto fahgeddaboudit. It’s heavy, quite heavy. Hence i havent used it since getting an evo mini. On the plus side its rated 12 for security, the evo mini is an 8 i think. You can also easily lock a frame n wheel together to something. Your wheels are gonna get stolen easier than your frame.
I do find the small size of the mini annoying at times, there are fat poles you can’t lock to, and only skinny poles will let me lock a wheel and frame.

Abus Granit Futura FTW.
Small (if not smaller than) a kryptonite mini evo.
Lightweight at <900gms. Strong as hell & special round locking pins make leverage based attacks more difficult.

Not cheap, approx $150.

Add a 7ft kyrptoflex cable to lock your brooks/aerospokes etc. & you have a lightweight/super strong full bike security option than weighs less than 1.4kgs

anyone seen the new knog locks. they look pretty cool. wondering how secure they are.

The Knog ‘Ring of Steel’ does look really interesting.

Would love to try it out- an electronic key sounds great in principle, but in the real world?

the real world is electronic.

i wonder what happens if you carry around a large battery and zap those two terminals?

What, you’re riding Shimano Di2 already? :evil:

Like most of Knog products- the industrial design is nice, but the price is high and the product longevity is questionable… I can already imagine the stainless steel trim coming off, or the rubber co-molding breaking apart with use. :expressionless:

hey!

jeez, i ignore one thread and this is what happens?

anyways. i use a most excellent fabric horse u-lock holster, and even if it did tear a pocket of my jeans, the russians on lonsdale st would fix them for me.

+1 my knog gloves started splitting after a week of use and the threading at the zipper on my knog bag is unstitching :cry:

I do like the idea of electronic locks, more specifically no keyhole. Alot of thiefs take the tactic of filling numerous locks with glue and coming back at 4am in the morning with suitable tools to see if any of them were left for the next day.

+1 my knog gloves started splitting after a week of use and the threading at the zipper on my knog bag is unstitching :cry:

Mine too, but think of all the street cred you get when kids think you must have binned it for you to rip your gloves. :evil: