Off-road speedplays

If that has anything to do with knee pain count me in. And it ain’t body position related either. I’d like to think it’s to do with output but it could be more likely that I’m hell old.

I was actually referring to the drivetrain and not the frameset :wink:

Interested to know which shoes you guys are using with your SPD-SL’s for cyclocross? There doesn’t seem to be any that provide MTB shoe style grip (ie. studs at the front, large tread at the rear) that also support SPD-SL cleats. I guess if you’re hardcore enough you don’t need to get off your bike for anything other than barriers so the extra grip for grassy muddy run-ups may not be important.

Also, the clip-in style of SPD-SL lends itself to the foot being behind the pedal then pushing forward (like when you take off at the lights), but in cross as you remount your feet are essentially coming from an angle above or straight down on top of the pedal, which would lend itself to regular SPD style cleats or similar systems (eggbeaters etc) wouldn’t it?

Noone (sane, anyway) is using SPD-SL for CX to my knowledge. My mention of them was for Hamish’s road bike.

ah missed that! as you were chaps.

That would be kamakaze- why not go full monty and use SPD-R’s for cyclocross… :slight_smile:

For the record - HMC rocked SPD-SLs for cross a couple of times. on his road bike with 28s. but after years of burzum/mayhem/iron maiden it didnt seem that crazy.

it also meant he crashed a lot…

actually, they were 25s…

fuck, those were good times. The trails seem positively tame now.

not cx, but i’ve busted a few folks with SPD-SLs on their mountain bikes. on long mtb tours - where you don’t get off your bike, and the route isn’t too technical - they seem to do the trick.

Muttonchops slayed a gravel grinder on his hardtail with SPD-SLs a while back.