Old Campagnolo hub nuts

I’ve heard that these are less wide than more modern nuts. Using newer nuts would therefore give less thread on the axle. Has anyone else experienced this?

The ones I have are narrower, so what you say is true: but I’m not sure why it would be an issue unless your axle is exactly the length of hub assembly+nuts.

i dont see how it is an issue

the only real issue ive ever had in this sort of situation is that campy axles even on the current hubs are too short for aluminium dropouts and you can only get half a nut on before you run out of axle

look here for example
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Campagnolo-Record-36-spoke-Track-Hubs-track-nuts-/180544108337?pt=AU_Sport_Cycling_Parts

The pics show modern nuts that have a lot more length and threads that start further out in the nut, and when put on the original old axles designed for the original shorter nuts, the new nuts protrude beyond the axle, so you actually have a lot less thread in use when these two issues are combined.
This problem is exacerbated further when using a road frame due to the thicker dropouts.
Basically it is marginal when using a track frame, and not workable on a road frame.

what do you mean the threads start further out in the nut? i am not sure the threads are only cut for a portion of the nut?

easiest thing to do is spend the $25 on a longer rear axle from wheels mfg - one genuine ‘old’ nut from campy will cost more than $25 anyway

for the front it doesnt really matter as long as you have a reasonable purchase on the threads eg i probably only have 2/3 of the thread done up on my campy front hub because of the thick fork ends - its a non issue as you are not going to pull a front wheel

ps i am pretty sure campy only ever made one length of track axle

To wrap this up, it’s not a huge deal, as long as the nut has ~10mm of thread engagement (for 9/10mm axles) you should fail the axle before you strip the thread.

If you’ve spaced the OLD out, or have really thick dropouts, then consider a Wheels Mfg axle, Horatio bought one to respace a Campy track hub from 120 to 130mm. They’re excellent quality.

If you want to study this in more depth, I suggest reading Machinery’s Handbook.

–end–

Thank you to you all