Old is new (single speed)

Hi I have been building this bike for a few months now and thought that I should share it with you.

I never realised how much trouble it would be to get an old frame like this going again, The headset is an old inbuilt cups design. I have to thank Ceres Bike shed for parts for that. And I really didn’t know about the problems of running an old frame with 700c rims.

I still have a few things left to do, I would like to change the cranks as 53t to 16 is a little high a ratio for somebody as lazy as me. But I dont think that anything modern would suit.

All up the build has cost about 500,

This is the finished bike
Fixed one | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This was the frame when I got it.
Fixed two | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Its an old 50’s early 60’s Holland frame with original paint (I was going to have it powder coated but loved the original look) cost $100.00

The Wheels are cheap ebay $115.00 Alex rims with Quando hubs including cheap tyers

Brooks Saddle 89.00 from Ribble
Tektro Long and Short reach breaks (Short at front 48mm, Long at back 58mm) $60.00

Drops and stem are cheapies from Abbottsford $40.00

The cranks and brake leavers are from The bike shed at Ceres (Came in handy when I needed headset parts.
[ATTACH]542[/ATTACH

]Fixed two..jpg

I cant believe that nobody has any comments?

Nice stem…

Well done on breathing some life into an old frame. However, if the bike was mine I would do the following things:

Ditch the reflectors.
Get a decent stem.
Get some decent brake levers.
Put a bigger cog on the back to make it more rideable.
Get a saddle without springs.

Remember you asked, and I’m not trying to belittle what you’ve done just giving you my opinion.

Well done on breathing some life into an old frame. However, if the bike was mine I would do the following things:

Ditch the gross frame.
Get a decent everything.
Get some nobr akes.
Put new cranks with a smaller chainring to make it more rideable.
Get a saddle that looks like a dildo.

Remember you asked, and I’m not trying to belittle what you’ve done just giving you my opinion.

You mean more like this?

All good parents love their babies, even when they’re fucking ugly.

haha ^ found a quote

hey if you like it go for it , but if it cost 500 big ones then dont build again, buy second hand , but that saddle looks hella sweet.

Next time spend less money Jelly Bean Bikes

my mum always taught me that if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all

and im all about AYHSMB and if you like it, ride it yada yada yada

but

wha da fark were you thinking!?

Ok I get the stem, its not my favorite part either. But jelly bean bikes, is that so I can buy a bike that looks like every one elses.

I decided to build a bike so that I could say it was all my choices not just my choice of colour, but if all you want to do is chose some colour then go for it each to there own.

and as for the cost, it allways works out cheaper when you buy, that is until I started to rip shit off that I didn’t like.

I could of saved a lot if I used a cheaper seat, brakes, seatpost ect but yes I get the stem I wish I had spent more on that.

belongs in bike pron thread <3 aerospok <3

look at that sexxxy saddle/bars combo, hmmmm…

put the sweet cranks on a proper vintage tarck frame and go racing on it.

put some moustache bars on this with some steel wheels and call it what it is