One for the design geeks (Helvetica, SBS 10pm)

10:05pm SBS tonight (Tues)

Hot Docs - Helvetica - A film about typography, graphic design and global visual culture looking at the proliferation of one typeface (which celebrated its 50th birthday in 2007) as part of a larger conversation about the way type affects our lives. An exploration of urban spaces in major cities and the type that inhabits them, and a fluid discussion with renowned designers about their work, the creative process, and the choices and aesthetics behind their use of type. (From the UK in English) (Documentary) M (L) CC WS

http://www.helveticafilm.com/

HOT Dang! I missed it, has anyone recorded this or maybe got a utube link? I would have loved to have seen this

I recorded it (PVR), but missed the start. Haven’t watched it yet.

bugger.
that would have been good.
thank god for the internets

I’m pretty sure I’ve got a download of it at home somewhere if anyone wants a copy, other wise Bittorrent is your friend.

i enjoyed it, and i don’t know a whole lot about fonts. its like a guide on how to make a documentary about nothing.

yawn, more evidence that graphic designers are obsessed with their own self importance for fear of their industry becoming irrelevent…which is soon

baiting…

haha…

Why do so many designers ride fixies? That’s what I want to know…

Well … if it weren’t for Jerk City singlehandedly saving MS Comic Sans … everyone would be using the zombie font. Which would be a sign of the end times and my cue to break out the AK.

In other news, grammar and punctuation nazis take note - your jihad may get you in trouble.

Grotesque accidents will happen :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks for the heads-up about the doco. I caught the end of it and it looked pretty interesting - even for type noobs like me.

The Architecture one on after was quite good as well.

meh, yawn… oh sorry, you’re an architect aren’t you! :mrgreen:

Yep…unfortunately the real stuff isn’t on TV much, just better homes + gardens. Or some neurotic anal retentive killer on NYPD who happens to be an architect.

Makes a nice change from the ones who just happen to be mentally ill.

If I see another episode like that I’m likely to relapse and start killing again write angry letters to the Green Guide.

Isn’t mental illness part of the job - they use sleep deprivation at Guantanamo bay to induse psychosis…cant see why architecture school is any different. I know when I was there I got to the edge of going postal moire than once

I’m just tired of seeing tv shows blame the world’s ills on people who need help

at least Blue Heelers had the guts to blame everything on the developmentally challenged -

• and then blow him up with a backpack bomb. TAKE THAT CLANCY, YA SPAZ

ha

jesus.

http://store.americanapparel.com.au/2001haw.html

Vote for K!

Ha…so death to Helvetica is now anti-American…its probably Arial anyhow. At least there was a good architect Parody on the Hollowmen last night.