One for the ladies... even I will do this one

Hi all u bike luvers! I know I dont write about much but I thought you might be able to spread the word on this event and the support they wish to give to women who would like to race… The more people on bikes the better i recon. Even I might do this one :-o

September 2008

Dear Fellow Cycling Supporters,

2008 AMY GILLETT CUP

We are writing to introduce you to and encourage you to promote or take part in the Amy Gillett Cup that will be held alongside the Jayco Herald Sun Tour from 12-18 October.

Our aim is to encourage more women into cycling and facilitate this by making these races as fun and inviting as possible for women. Accordingly, these races are targeted at women at all levels of fitness and are as much about participation and support for women’s racing as competition. The races will be graded into A and B grade with the girls starting as a mass group.

As we are encouraging women of all levels to get involved and come and try racing, we have organized an exemption from the current licensing rules for open events. Therefore if you are unlicensed or know of girls who are unlicensed but would like to get involved they will be able to enter this event by purchasing a day License.

Historically women’s events have had fewer participants than men’s events, which can be a challenge for promoters. However, we were excited by the support shown for the inaugural women’s race on the final day of the Jayco Herald Sun Tour last year. Because of this enthusiasm we have increased this year’s racing schedule for women. We would love you to get involved, and encourage others to get involved, so we can keep putting on races for women!

Participation numbers are critical to keep these events going in the future. We will continue to support Women’s cycling as long as there is a strong level of involvement All other aspects of cycling (Schools, Veterans, Amateur and Professional Men) are heavily promoted and supported during the tour, so it makes sense to stage a Women’s event – but only if the numbers are there!

Our priority is to encourage women to ride the final day of racing at Lygon Street, Carlton on 18th of October, but of course we need participants in all the events. Below is a schedule of the support events alongside the tour, with the Amy Gillett Cup events highlighted in pink. You will note that the Amy Gillett Cup events have been given the prime timeslot as part of our efforts to nurture women’s racing.

We would love for you to attend these events or help promote these women’s events throughout your network. To inspire you to get involved I have created a list of things you could possibly do;

· Create a team of girls and ride the event together

· Ask your local bike shop or club to help you out by offering support or sponsorship

· Post information about the event on your club website

· Create an incentive for the girls to get involved i.e. free entry or team support

· Get a team together and cycle fundraise for your favourite charity

· Be at the finish line and cheer for the riders

· Place a notice in your club/school/shop/work newsletter

DATES
STAGE DETAILS

Sunday 12 Oct

TRARALGON
8am-11.30am – VSCC Zone Final (CSV)

11.40am-12.40pm – Masters Crit (SV)

12.50am-1.50pm – Men’s Amateur Teams Crit (CSV)

2.00pm-3.00pm – Amy Gillett Cup (CSV)

3.10pm-3.30pm – ‘Go for your life’ Community Ride with Stars

3.30pm-3.50pm – Warm Up

Jayco Herald Sun Tour Classic – Traralgon (Live on Ch 10)

Time: 3.50 pm - 4.50 pm

Thursday 16 Oct

MT BULLER

Stage 4 - Alexandra to Mt Buller

Start Time: 10.30 am

8.30am – L’Etape du Tour – Mansfield to Mt Buller (CSV)

9.00am – Tour Club depart- Mirimbah to Mt Buller

10.00 – Men’s Teams Time Trial – Mansfield to Mt Buller

2 minute intervals, max 30 teams, max 7 riders per team

10.30am – Masters Road Race – Mansfield to Mt Buller

10.50am – Amy Gillett Cup - Road Race – Mansfield to Mt Buller

Saturday 18 Oct

MELBOURNE
7.30am-11.30am – VSCC Final (CSV)

11.40pm-12.40pm – Masters Crit (SV)

12.50pm-1.50pm – Men’s Amateur Teams Crit (CSV)

2.00pm-2.50pm – Amy Gillett Cup (CSV)

2.55pm-3.15pm – JHST Warm Up

Stage 6 -Criterium – Melbourne - (Live on Ch 10 – 3-5pm)

Time: 3.15 pm - 4.45 pm

Entries are through CycleSport Victoria on 03 8480 3000 or www.vic.cycling.org.au

If you have any questions about the schedule or would like to contact us, please don’t hesitate to contact me at liz@tlsports.com.au or phone 03 9862 0205.

Once again please help support women’s cycling and get involved. We look forward to seeing you at the Amy Gillett Cup

Kind regards

Liz Taylor

P.S Please feel free to pass this on to anyone you think would be interested.

I’m so breaking out my little black number for this one :evil: