Out of Towner looking for Brisbane Redcliffe rides

You want the Ekka ride, along Gilchrist Avenue and through Victoria Park, left over the duck pond and back over the Land Bridge over the train lines, then a right to go between the schools and the train line and then onto Roma St parklands.

Zoom in on the map for this and locate the hospital/RNA Showgrounds and follow it into the city.

https://www.strava.com/activities/357833892

Big day yesterday, I left Red Hill, made my way over to Kingsford Smith drive and went over the Gateway. Then down through Murrarie and onto Wynumn road and over the Storey Bridge. Then back and forth along Southbank and onto U of Q. I then took on the hills of Toowong back to Red Hill for a total of 62klm.

Fantastic ride in beautiful conditions. I have to say that I love the work that BCC is putting in on the bike paths. I guess that’s the advantage of the bigger Brisbane City area. It allows a more integrated approach to planning.

And I must highly recommend Hop, Scotch and Beans up on Petrie Terrace opposite Victoria Barracks. I had a steakburger, coffee and a pot of Stone & Wood for $20.

Bob, you’re living the life. Good to see.

Yeah well I’m back in Melbourne. Sorry I didn’t get to meetup with anybody but I was overwhelmed with family obligations. I’ve got 7 brothers and sisters living up there and they all had things planned for me. Next time I’ll just book into a hotel and tell no one.

But I did get to do lots of riding. I’d have to say that Brisso tops Melbs for bike paths. Especially the quality and design. Why can’t Melbourne tack a bike path onto the side of the Westgate like Brisbane did with the Gateway? That is an absolutely brilliant ride. And the Brisbane bike path designers seem to understand that not every path has to be a shared path. And they know that sometimes you need to separate the pedestrians from the bikes.

And I did the Houghton Hwy, the Boondall wetlands, Redcliffe to Petrie via Anzac Ave, and the Coronation drive out to the U of Q. All new since I left to live in Melb in the 90s.