Outsmarting those bike thiefs

Thank you. I was going to suggest the best way to outsmart those on the other side of the law is to start with good grammar and correct spelling.

at least the tube can be replaced #steelisreel

I wazn doin nuffink

So at which point did the thief think, “oh, that top tube is waaay to bent for my liking.”

stop right there.

Yeah that sounds like way too much trouble, especially if the rear hub is anything special.

Zeph (the OP) knows better than anyone how good it feels when you walk up on your bike and your velocity front is still safely locked to your frame/the pole and your phil rear wheel is nowhere to be seen.

Yeah, I think about that sometimes. I have a Formula or Suntour Sprint on the back… I think the Zipp is worth more.

Spirito is bang on the money. If you have a nice bike don’t ride it to a destination that you have to need to leave it locked up outside for hours. Ride a beater if you have to do that.

U-locks can be quickly popped apart using a pneumatic jack - so lock the tight against something or use a mini-D so that theffs can’t fit a jack in between the U and the lock bar.

If you want a really good lock the Abus Steel-o-Flex’s were really popular in London with messengers and the like. They’re meant to be one of toughest to get through. They ain’t cheap but neither is your bike.

Abus Steel o flex cable lock getting chopped. - YouTube

that’s why he bent it back the other way. added bonus was that it shortened the top tube to just the right length for the new owner.

also, Samson’s brand statement is fricken sweet

damn, nothing is safe, I’m going to start doing the extreme lengths of chain like pee wee herman… wait, even his bike got stolen!

If the police ever lunched and anti bike theft operation I’d really like it to be code named ‘Alamo Basement’

I lock with two different locks; miniD through the front rim and frame (and rail), then an Abus chain through the rear triangle (and the saddle rails for good measure). A solid deterrent because the thief needs multiple tools for both locks. The youtube videos of bolt croppers going through cables and chains are shot under ideal physical conditions i.e, they’re invariably done with the chain/cable on the ground for maximum leverage. It would be extremely difficult to cut like that at waist height. I leave the beast of a chain in situ at uni…

[video]http://youtu.be/aTA3JsZWiec[/video] This guy!

^Thats pretty funny.