Post your CHEAP food recommendations/recipes here...

So I’m broke and desperately need to budget my living expenses to get ahead… and I figured a few other uni students/bums/velofiends here might be in the same boat.

So I propose in this thread that we post recipes and recommendations for cheap food solutions at home…

I’m veg and obviously will only post vegetarian/vegan options, but this thread is for everyone so post what you will.

Do your best/worst,

GO!

Tonight was Black&Gold baked beans (bought out of curiousity, as I’m pretty fond of Heinz) with half the sauce tipped out as it was kinda oily, and rosemary, basil and cracked pepper added…

was actually pretty good over some Nuttelex on toast

5/5 for speed and ease of preparation
3.5/5 for taste

Ingredients:
8 cloves garlic
2 brown onions
3 cans tomatoes
4 capsicums (get em at your local asian/cheap grocer where you can get the trays of slightly old capsicums for cheapz)
some olives
glass of goon (steal off your housemate)
salt, pepper, italian herbs (these are already in your cupboard)
1 can water
olive oil

Directions:
Make pasta sauce.
Simmer that shit for at least an hour, flavour takes time

as mentioned on FB, i did this yesterday and got 7 or 8 serves of sauce for about $10

shouldn’t your XedgeX housemates have a fridge full of vegan delights to pilfer til next payday?

This copy of the Moroccan Soup Bar chickpea bake is pretty good. And cheap to make: Fetteh (Moroccan Soup Bar’s Chickpea Bake) #2

Nice one Jams,

Nick… That Fetteh at Moroccan Soup bar is reeeeeediculously good, I cant wait to try to make it with that recipe, cheers.

Good thread. If someone can post the recipe to the vegan chocolate / pear cake that was at Ryan Aid it will be even better!

Will post some ideas soon.

On the Baked Beans theme. Used to make it as a single guy 20 years ago and it still happens on cold weekend mornings.
1 Can of Baked beans
Diced Onion, tomato and olives, all in together. Couple of minutes in the microwave and then over toast.
Excellent brekky before a 100 k ride.

Anything is cheap if you cook it from scratch and cook regularly. Buy basic stables in larger queantities because it’s cheaper that way. Bags of rice, flour, pulses and legumes, carrots, onions and potatoes. Also start a herb garden and maybe even some lettuces, leeks and swiss chard (easy, cheap) if you have room. A few condiments, some simple ingredients and a few rustic recipes and you’ll be eating like a king for cheap. It’s not hard but you gotta stick at it and plan ahead.

Write your menu for the week ahead of time and never buy any ingredients that only have one use/purposes. It needn’t be boring or processed rubbish.

This week i’ve been eating Minestroni soup, Polenta with mushrooms and sauteed swiss chard, pea & mint risotto, stir fry w/ rice. Where possible all the veg and salads come from the garden. I’d be surprised if any of the dishes cost more than $8 for the 2 of us. We spend all the money on wine !!!

hey spitzl where’s my invite

great post Spirito!

Those Minestrone and Polenta photos have given me food boner!

I came up with this little number about a month ago,
Myself and my fiance will find a recipe and then try to get it down to as cheap as possible.

Fry 1 onion and 2 cloves garlic until brown, add soaked TVP and fry for 5 mins.
Add a can of kidney beans, some chilli (I use fresh from garden but I suppose you could use dried flakes), 1 tsp ground cumin and a can of tomatoes.

Simmer for 30 mins and serve over rice.

p.s. I usually add a heap of parsley/parcel just to add some flavor.

Nikcee & I have dined at casa de Spirito and feasted upon his bounty. It was indeed delicious.

You can make a mean tempeh chili with mushrooms & capsicums, make it smoky and spicy by adding chipotles in adobo (Casa Iberica stock them), make it more awesome by roasting an entire head of garlic in the oven and squeezing the cloves into the chili. Serve over brown rice and top with some avocado. Very filling, much better on day 3+. A good winter warmer.

rice + sweet chilli sauce.

porridge.

air.

also crossways all you can eat lunches for $2.50 with your student card. you only really need to eat once a day. and on the weekends you can go to the krishna temple, where it’s all you can eat for free.

weird religions / cults are your friend.

I have this at least once a week.

Ingredients
2 cups Rice, brown, boiled without salt
1/2 cups Raisins
1 cups canned mandarin in syrup, drained
80 g walnuts
2 individual spring onion, raw, ends trimmed, finely chopped
2 Tbsp vinegar, (preferably sherry vinegar)
2 tsp olive oil

Instructions
Combine rice, raisins, mandarins, walnuts and spring onions in a large bowl. Toss to combine.
Whisk vinegar and oil in a small bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add dressing to rice mixture and toss to combine. Spoon into bowls and serve.

I can’t believe nobody’s mentioned the classic student staple- Pasta de atún (tuna pasta)
Buy the $2.00 can of tuna (yeah the brand that kills all the dolphins), home brand pasta, Coles brand tin of tomato (the one that says made in China I kid you not), and you’re laughing. And an onion if you can afford it.
Protein, carbs and water

Plunder this link for the vegetarian recipes. Most vegetarian you can do cheaply and you could do a lot worse…
Gourmet Traveller Recipe Index: gourmet recipes, recipes

Make sure you shop at markets instead of supermarkets. Grow your own herbs and vegetables if you have room, and buy spices and condiments from shops in Victoria Street, Sydney Rd, Fairfield etc Leave meals for the next day while the flavours develop.

probably cause he asked the recipes to be vegetarian…

Geeze Brendan go eat some more chickpeas… :wink:

I actually said for people to post whatever they like. The thread is for everyone, not just me.