pre-ride diet

I like nuuns for hydration. One tab in 700ml bottle for normal training rides and double dosing for hard hilly efforts ( eg rides with 3-4000 vert meters of climbing ) also double dosing for raceing.
Food wise nothing on a 20-60 km training ride, a gel on the start line of a crit race and about 1/3 of a cliffy every 20min on a serious/hard ride’ plus gels at the base of big climbs. It’s all about the mission at hand. Big outputs over long times ( 6 hour sufferfests ) need to be fulled properly, bonking up the last 5km climb 5 hours into a serious ride is the last thing you want to do to your self :smiley:

Yeah I hit protein ASAP and the way horleys filter there’s makes it super fast to absorb

If I’m only going for a local ride of a flat 100km or less, then two or three pieces of low-gi toast with peanut butter and a double espresso. If I could stomach more food first thing in the morning then I would.
If the ride is a little later then I will maybe have some bacon because it’s a superfood and makes you ride like he-man. Endura is great but you should start that a few days before in hypertonic doses, isotonic during riding and maybe afterwards in hypotonic amounts.
It’s good that you are taking notice of this stuff early on, I know a lot of people who don’t give a shit about their nutrition.

This. At the risk of sounding like a BOF, ride nutrition is a discipline, as important as riding or recovery. If you pay attention to it riding will be a) more fun and b) you’ll be able to do more of it, more often. Longer term, if you’ve got your eye on racing, gran fondos, epic rides etc, having a nutrition plan for what you’re going to do is smart and training yourself to eat/drink to plan is also smart (end of BOF sermon).

Plenty of good things to try from the posts above…but notice how different everybody is? It’ll probably take some time and experimentation for you to figure out what works for you for the type of riding you do, what you like the taste of and what your tummy and bod can tolerate.

Nothing changes for me, this every day:-

on the ride those kids “fruit” bars. cheep at 25 cents each.

But don’t listen to me, I’m a fatty…

Plenty of good things to try from the posts above…but notice how different everybody is? It’ll probably take some time and experimentation for you to figure out what works for you for the type of riding you do, what you like the taste of and what your tummy and bod can tolerate.

you,re right there captain commuter, have tried a few things and will experiment with more to see what works for me, thanks yoall for the tips

Nah bro not for recovery. I know this is meant to be pre-ride but…

You can incorporate 3 grams of carbohydrate per kg of body weight during 4 hours post ride – for best results consume within 30mins or up to 2 hours - carbs should be consumed asap after riding.

Co-ingestion of large amounts of Caffeine with carbs has an additive effect on rates of postexercise muscle glycogen accumulation compared with consumption of carbs alone.
8 mg of caffeine per kg body weight for a 70 kg cyclist is 540 mg (1 shot of espresso has around 100mg) so 2 double shot coffees after a big ride can help increase your max glycogen levels - if you can handle it!

For me: 3*72kg = 216g carbs in the first 30 mins (where possible, up to 2 hours if not). I’ll always make a smoothie as soon as I get home which is around 70g of carbs and takes care of my protein needs too, then have dates and prunes (both high in carbs and healthy!) which is another 100g~ of carbs then maybe a bagel or something and I’m set!

Sorry I meant 30g carb during a ride per hour,

garlic bread

<3