(probably been done, but...) Good Tyre For Skidding

You could do that also. Skid patches are never something that I’ve had to worry about too much (so I’ve never consciously done either).

I may be a bit brutal on my equipment. How long quickly does everyone else go through rubber???

bye a break

Continental Ultra Sport Home Trainer Tyre

The good burghers at Conti say “not suitable for outdoor use”

Having said that, the Ultra Sport Home trainer tyres are meant to be really hard- they’d be slippery as all f*ck, but maybe durable as skidding tyres?

That’s why they’re not supposed to be used on the street, as they’re designed with a higher Shore hardness / transition temperature. Road tyres can overheat and come apart when used on a trainer.

So for a skid comp, probably a good choice. For a tyre ridden on the road, the potential to bin it is high.

Didn’t Urban Velo do a test on the skidability of some tyres recently?

The voice of reason… finaly.

Just because the manufacture says it’s true does not always make it so.

How about someone buy one and find out how it handles/ skids/ lasts.

haha I can see it already, hipsters will no brakes, no handlebar tape, and totally inappropriate home trainer tyres riding around because they apparently skid well… :lol:

Wait for the rain and laugh!

Yes, but it often does.

I take your point though. The conti people probably didn’t have the brakeless fixie in mind when they wrote the product blurb.

I use my trainer quite a bit but have never bothered with a special “trainer tyre”, I just use whatever I’ve got that’s no longer fit for road use and keep that money for beer and pizza.

I’m in no way saying it’s a good idea, probably so hard you’ll go arse up but you never never know if you never never go.
Just get someone else to go first and tell you if it’s good or not :wink: :smiley:

FYI:

Fixed with trainers:
http://fixedgeargallery.com/2007/july/1/MikeSessions.htm

Discussion on above bike:
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13920

Tyres for skidding:
http://www.fixedgeargallery.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9594

Crazy hipster must have yellow grips cause the home trainer tyres only come in bright ‘Conti’ yellow.

ah of course, I remember seeing that bike ages ago!
Thanks for the reminder Blakey.

Ridiculous, but nice at the same time.

That’s MADNESS what kinda 60 year old WANTS to try and stop a 50/19 without clips or brake???

I know a couple of 60 year olds who would show you. They’re not all wearing their pyjamas in the daytime.

No clips or straps, no brakes, trainer tyres… I hope he’s redone the will !

when should i replace my tire… i have Vittoria Zaffiros, they have lasted about 3months with a pair of brakes and about 200kms a week, well the rear has… but some fabric is starting to show through and I want to avoid a blowout…

I think I’ll get them again, how much should I be paying for them?

I think you answered your own question… :roll:

Zaffiros have a RRP of $29.95 I think, but I think you can get them online for a lot less.

Try these… at $20.

Courtesy of SuperMax.

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen someone rolling around Melbourne with a Conti Trainer on his bike.