'Pumplin Run Wednesday 30 December 2009

OK. The poll is even, but with only 5 voters. Wednesday the 30th is what people are talking about, so I’m setting the date.

So, say goodbye to 2009 in Style, preview NYE, with a midnight dash from Manly.

Just turn up for the regular cricketer’s ride, hang around, catch the Ferry to Manly, at at midnight the ride starts.

Expect a quick tour through the Northern Beaches, the flats of Manly, and back to the CBD via the Spit and Military Road.

It’s not a race, but stupidity and heroics are encouraged.

Original Post:

The Pumpkin Run has a bit of a history. It was originally conceived of as an alley cat: take the last ferry to Manly and ride back to the city. This was when the last ferry arrived at roughly midnight, thus the Cinderella reference. Rod went to the trouble of organising it back in the day, but due to timing it did not go exactly as planned.

Now a similar concept for an alley cat could still happen, but the original concept of the midnight Pumkin Run is probably a little too out there for a big participation event.

So, this is a long way of saying that I want to revive the Pumkin Run, with no compromise regarding the concept: Ferry. Manly. Midnight. Ride. Not as a race, but as a (possibly) epic ride. Kudos and bragging rights would be up for grabs in cases of amazing bravery and/or stupidity.

Now I know that this is not for everyone, with jobs partners kids and responsibilities. Thus I’m throwing it out there for ideas, expressions of interest, and so on. I reckon if a minimum of six riders are in, it will be go.

My ideas:

Pick a Wednesday night, late December or January, when people are on holidays, have a bit of time for stupid rides. Also a warm summer evening would be nice. Do the regular Wednesday Cricketers ride, feed up on a steak sandwich, and take the midnight ferry to Manly. If a weekend night is better, that could be possible too.

From Manly, it depends on how stupid people want to be. We could do Palm Beach and return. Ride out through West Head in the dark, or simply fang it back to the city. there are heaps of options.

And a stop at Maisy’s cafe in Neutral Bay on the way home for breakfast could be included.

So: thoughts, ideas, thumbs up, thumbs down?

Carlin

i would be up for it, but it would totally depend on the day… weekend, or wednesday in holidays…

This sounds great, i’m up for it, any day suits me

im in just let me know what day

west head? wednesday night back to city would be wicked, roads are nice and free then. id avoid manly on a sat night - POS and the ferry is a sobering experience.

trackstanding on the ferry…? :stuck_out_tongue:

Maisy on return gets a vote.

Sounds like a really good idea. If something like this went ahead, I would have to do it.

thumbs up! with a bit of notice any night would do me fine.

Carlin, are you a sadist, West Head? WTF? I like the way you think, lets inflict some pain on these kids, some good bloody hills out that way!

when are we doin’ it, I’m off the bike with a fractured hand bone thing, but still smashing the ergo. I’m guessing some good lights would be needed, as there is nout out west head way.

I’d definable be up for that given a couple of weeks notice.

OK looks like this will all go ahead then.

I’ll try and organise a date over the holiday period, probably a Wednesday, and see when the Melbourne guys are coming up here for some altitude training.

So West Head is too far, I think straight back to the city is not far enough, so I’ll look into a northern beaches route of some sort.

Cheers

word onthe straight gridded streets of Melburn is that we’re coming up in Feb some time. Might have to do another one then.

Bump this up. It’s going ahead, and I’ve added a poll. There is a flyer in the works, just need to set the date.

Cheers

30th december sounds like a killer time. i’m on holidays, and it’d be a killer run-in to nye. get behind it!

^^

That’s my personal preference, for the reasons stated.

Clearly I can make all the poll dates though.

I like. All things being equal, I’m in.

You deign to grace us with your presence? My poor hillbrick blushes in the presence of you multiple gears…

+UNO

Only the other day did I experience the strangeness that is riding around at 3am in Sydney on a monday night. I went from Newtown to Coogee via Alexandria without having a single car pass me.

A work mate of mine may come on his roady if that’s okay with you lot.

the more the merrier.

rhys and andy are both a goer for 30/12, and we could probably talk tom & rob from hell on wheels into it as well.

It’s on!

Say goodbye to 2009 in Style, preview NYE, with a midnight dash from Manly.

Just turn up for the regular cricketer’s ride, hang around, catch the Ferry to Manly, and at midnight the ride starts.

Expect a quick tour through the Northern Beaches, the flats of Manly, and back to the CBD via the Spit and Military Road.

It’s not a race, but stupidity and heroics are encouraged. :evil:

I’m in, and I have to be at work at 6am the next day. No excuse to miss this one boys!