Haven’t seen this one posted here yet…

“I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn’t it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailleur? We are getting soft… As for me, give me a fixed gear!”
–Henri Desgrange, L’Equipe, 1902

n.

That ranks right up there with:

“I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.”
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

“No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer.”

Actually, I have no idea how the original quote has anything to do with the computer ones :stuck_out_tongue:

Mr Desgrange was merely stating that he felt it was of greater purity to ‘triumph by the strength of your muscles’ - I don’t think he was saying that the future would be fixed and the derailleur would be useless and obsolete in the future…

i think yr right nick.
its not like he said “i give these crazy derailleurs 5 years, max”.

those computer quotes are more like “fuck you, i’ll always be straight-edge!”

hey man, it’s a commitment for life!

12 years so far.

Also: “It’s the fixie lifestyle maaaaaaaaan” - anonymous douchebag.

:smiley:
“And it’s about feeling one with the bike maaaaaann”

It’s really ZEN

Yes, Desgrange said that but his subtext was that multi-geared bikes are a silly fad.

(It wasn’t him riding up those Cols :smiley: )

my favourite fixie quote of recent days:

“riding your fixie down brunswick st is a lot like driving your commodore down chapel st, hey.”

-george

Damoh and I call it ‘doing a lap of honour’ :smiley:

-Make sure you ride especially slow as you pass Atomica!

Is that because those kerbside, latte sippers can’t read ‘Merckx’ if your riding at speed? :stuck_out_tongue:

are a*rospokes the same as spinning rims? deep Vs the same as mags?

They wouldn’t know what a Merckx was, you’d get a better response with a BMW Gangsta track ‘glow in the dark’ bike… :evil:

Or that all gold, POS, ebay thing !

I keep thinking that another car company is jumping on the bike bandwagon (like porche, mercedes, ferrari etc). Whoever acronised (to create an acronym for) Brooklyn MW did a terrible job.