quoting vintage frames for insurance

^ what Keith said.

Go and see Mitch at Cecil Walker, he’ll do you a shop quote and is an old chum of Kevin at Paconi aswell. So I’m sure he could line that up too.

So there’s two frame builders and a shop quote, just gotta find another shop. Insurance companies will pretty much always want 2 quotes.

This.

Gypsy helped me out when my bike got trashed by a car. Got a quote for a replacement custom frame of the same/similar tubing. Happy days.

When you get hit by a car, truck or whatever does it matter to the insurance company if you’re wearing a helmet, have reflectors or a brake? Can something as small an issue as a reflector stop you from receiving an insurance payment?

A little off topic but it’s been on my mind recently.

helmet affects third party medical payouts, shouldn’t affect property payout though. no brake could definitely be an issue but since the cost of a bike is pretty low I doubt they would even send anyone to look at the bike.
nobody looked at my bike when I made a claim, didn’t even send pictures (and that was a few $k)

Ok so I’m going to get two quotes from a coupla bike shops and go from there. Thanks everyone for your help.

Depends if the non roadworthy issues could have caused the accident,
But no helmet no, that’s like wearing no seat belt.

But no brakes no reflector’s or bell techniquely yes they could wipe you.

Surely that’d be up to the cops though? When I got hit the cops issued the driver with a fine but not me (I had no reflectors or bell but everything else was ok)
if the insurance company come asking questions about the legality of my bike they can get fucked

Surely the bottechia I linked would be easy and the same brand?

Yeah that’s what I mean I’ve never seen a bike claim denied for being unroadworthy

Yeh absolutely. Thanks for that. Dumb question, but the insurance co just pay out cash, they won’t just reimburse for some sort of ‘approved’ purchase? Coz I don’t want a new frame, I need to replace this frame with something comparable, it’d be a different story if it was my bike

I got cash sent straight to my account - obviously after giving the d-bag’s insurance company my details.

make sure they write the check to you, else they might write it to the bike store that gave the quote and you would have to source it through them (unless that is what you want to do)

i had an assessor for the insurance company come and look at my frame, then they did nothing for a month, until i chased it up,and they then authorised the lowest of the two quotes i had provided, and mailed a cheque to the bike shop.
i’d suggest if you don’t want them to do one of the quotes because the options provided aren’t appealing, then don’t give it to them,

edit: i think they may have also sent me a cheque or direct deposit for replacement jeans, i definitely gave them the receipt for them, i assume they paid me money for them.

yeah, similar expireience, the insurance company made a cheque out to the bike shop that gave the quote leavng limited options

looks like it happend to this person too
$1999 BIKE FORCE ANZ RACV VOUCHER | eBay

Yeah, that has happened to two friends, both got cheques made out to bike stores to replace second hand frames / bikes. If you’re replacing the frame with a similar frame (old, steel), you should see if you can get cash in your account. Or get a cheque made out to Fyxo.

Pretty good deal if you were in the market for a new bike.

Could you get the bike shop to just cash the cheque (obviously after the cheque had cleared)…?

I think you can write checks over to people. Banking it and giving me the cash might screw up their books.

Anyway, this might sound naive, but I don’t want to be dealing with any insurance companies. The driver should be paying me, then seeking reimbursement from the insurance co.

Drivers pay insurance, so the insurance company deals with the 3rd party on their behalf.

IF the damage to the bike is less than the drivers excess (and there is no damage to the car), then you might be able to settle something outside for the insurance companies, but I wouldn’t count on it.

Follow all the advice already offered in this thread and you will have no dramas.

As I said already, I was in constant contact with the drivers insurance company checking progress of the claim, what I would be awarded and if the driver had paid his excess, and requested that I have the cash wired to me rather than a cheque made out (this was RAC in WA), and that was no issue for them even though I had a repair quote given to me from a shop, so you may get lucky.

If they say they are writing the cheque out to the shop, tell them the money has already been spent (as you needed the bike for transport and waiting wasn’t an option) and that you need it to be made out to you.

This was recommended by various people and worked for Dawn after her accident.

You can also have cheques signed over to another payer (or at least that was my experience years ago) but it requires the original recipient to authorise this with a signature and proof of ID.