Ramsay's Workshop Nightmares - What have you done?

i have the best/worst one. all due to absent mindedness i guess,

i’d just had my bottom bracket swapped out, put the cranks back on and tightened everything up.
i rode about 2 k to uni in normal shoes, changed into clipless shoes and started riding, i couldn’t clip in, thought, what the hell is going on, looked down and realised i had put the cranks on the wrong sides, with the chain on the left of the bike. some hasty roadside crank and chain removal followed.

using an old chain, keep track of how many turns you need. get an engraver out and scratch it on the chain breaker.

I bought a MTB that was too small for me so I could swap the parts onto a frame I already had. At some stage during the conversion process I realised the front mech was top pull (and my frame was bottom pull). Also discovered that the head tube on my frame was a bit longer than the other one so I don’t have as much steerer as I probably should. It’s about 18 months without any issues…yet.
Oh and during the conversion process, the bike was upside down. Something happened and the handlebars turned causing the bike to fall over. managed to bend the hanger AND the rear mech in the process. Gotta say it wasn’t one of my finest moments.

haha angry… I do that all the time too. We need a torque meter- anyone?

Stripped an axle nut on my bmx lastnight. Second one in two weeks.

good show! you ever replace a wheel with a ski you’d made out of sticks?

A friend at work used a biopace chainring on his fixie

Due to the slight eliptical nature of the chainring, chain tension varied - but nothing every went wrong. thank god it has now been replaced with da frogs cranks from a couple of months back

WINNER!!!

I thought about running my bike like this while I’m using flats. Don’t see a problem with it and it’d be good to fuck with a couple of people. Profile even bought it out for bmx street bikes back in the day with a left hand specific hub and free-wheel. It was so that when people were grinding rails they didn’t rub up the chain wheel. Don’t think it ever took off though. :expressionless:

I’ve cut my bars short - crazy london style~ - too short. There’s not enough leverage to skid properly now, and my knees are feeling it. Who woulda thunk, short bars = sore knees?

~ ~ ~

I’d also like to dob in a prominent melb LBS … I was doing some of that free love bike repair stuff in the Carlton Gardens when a young woman brought her bike up. She’d just taken it to ### to get a puncture repaired, but now the gears are sticking?

… because just before they took her $20 to fix a flat, they pinched the derailleur gear cable in between the rear drops and the QR, and then closed the QR. Chomp. Good work fellas, you sure earnt that $20 …

As long as you have a tandem crankset so you don’t unwind your pedals. You’ll also be constantly trying to loosen your cog so your lockring better be up to scratch.

TC’s run a LH drivetrain in the past IIRC.

Sheldon Brown mentions somewhere on his site he used biopace with fixed gear with little issues.

At the ripe old age of young, my mtb’s front hydraulic breaks were rubbing. So being the smart dumbass i was, i decided to bleed the breaks myself, and then add whatever oil i had lying around the house. Needless to say, the guys at the LBS thought i was a complete douche, and my entire front break system had to be replaced…

Didn’t work out too well for me…

Not bike related but back in the day i went to TAFE with a guy who used canola oil in his VB como brakes :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless: we were doing a mechanics course :expressionless: :expressionless:

hehe, as a kid raised by a single mum the kitchen was my garage. Vegetable oil worked like a goddamn charm on my BMX and all my tools were from the kitchen drawers :stuck_out_tongue:

For years I used to run my headset finger tight because I couldn’t make kitchen tools do it up proppa :oops:

I’m also going to dob in a LSB…

My girlfriend’s rear tyre had low air and her original tubes used Woods valves which my Joe Blow can’t pump. So I take it into ### and have the man put on a Schrader adapter so I can take care of any future inflation, but he insists on pumping it in store.

Man gets out compressor, pumps the shit out of it.

I asked if he may have maybe put in too much air. He says no, “it’s impossible to blow at that PSI”.

Sure enough, 5 minutes down the road to the delight of many pedestrians, an earth shattering bang as the back wheel explodes and the tyre wraps over the rear brake causing the back wheel to seize and my poor girlfriend almost meet her fate with tram tracks and traffic.

Take it back to ### and explain that low and behold the back tyre blew. The attendant didn’t believe it to be so, but was busy with another poor bastard at the time. So we then had to explain our situation to another attendant get a free tube & air out of them (whilst checking with original dude) with some mild persuasion. :frowning:

Sunday night, a bit tired and emotional from the afternoon’s beer fun, decide I’ll give the filthy drivetrain on the flash roadie a cleanup for Monday morning’s ride. Chain off and cleaned, BB out and regreased, took off the plate on the rear derailleur cage, stripped cleaned and lubed the jockey wheels, reassembled and refit gleaming clean chain.

So the thing then shifts like an absolute pig. Feels oddly like the bottom bracket bearings are binding somehow, cranks take some effort to turn where before they were silky smooth. Swear loudly and creatively. Take chain off, spin cranks, all smooth again. Look at derailleur, inspect jockey wheels, they’re in the derailleur cage the right way and turn freely. OK so decide to refit chain and try again. Drop one side of connex link through small hole in shed floor. Swear loudly and creatively. Ring mate, go to his house and borrow connex link, come home and refit chain. No improvement, must be bottom bracket. Swear at top of lungs, frighten piss out of possum who lives in shed roof (possum piss now dripping from ceiling). Get on internet, order new bottom bracket cups. Have a beer.

A bit later go back to shed to lock up and spot the problem. I’d put the inner plate of the derailleur cage on upside down and it was binding only with the chain in…

Slept ithrough alarm nnd missed morning ride.

Confucious say beer, fatigue and bad temper not mix with bike service :expressionless:

I brought brand new track cranks and threaded my pedals in and forgot to tighten em and went for a ride and destroyed my new cranks

the end

Lots of people run lhd on their bmxs if they grind more on the right and most manafacturers bring out both rhd and lhd versions of their hubs. There are also some companies that have hubs that can be run both ways with a simple play around with the pawls

Had a few beers and decided to work on a wheel-building project. I laced it up and started to tension it, but felt a bit too pissed to continue. Came back a couple of weeks later and the wheel just didn’t look right. It turned out I had forgotten to do the third cross - doh! I had to relace the whole frikkin thing! This was shortly after I had broken a rim when I got a bit vigorous in the destressing :-o

I figured out one thing - beer does not mix with wheel-building!

Had a few beers and decided to work on a wheel-building project. I laced it up and started to tension it, but felt a bit too pissed to continue. Came back a couple of weeks later and the wheel just didn’t look right. It turned out I had forgotten to do the third cross - doh! I had to relace the whole frikkin thing! This was shortly after I had broken a rim when I got a bit vigorous in the destressing :-o

I figured out one thing - beer does not mix with wheel-building!
[/quote]

lies!
i think the trick is to lace it up first, then start drinking. I sat in front of the telly for ages drinking beer and tensioning up three wheels. My housemates got pretty sick of the intermittent squeeks of nipples being tweaked though.