Rant! hipsters

• You’re not reducing the rear wheel’s momentum with a rear brake any more than you would by the overall delta-v caused by front braking alone, as the wheel’s rotational speed is directly linked to your ground speed, and both your wheels are on the ground at this point. Plus, this point is moot anyway, as the momentum of spinning wheel is 2/10’s of SFA, as anyone who’s ever steered off rollers can attest to. You don’t suddenly rocket across the room and through the glass door, at worst you’ll have a slight carpet burn when the tyres stop spinning quick smart. The angular momentum of your 3kg wheelset pales into comparison to that of your 60-100kg body and 10kg bike.
  • No, again, the rear has bugger all momentum. You have the most momentum, and if you lock the front brake that momentum you have keeps going forward while the wheel rolls around with the brake pads attached to the rim and hence the frame and you attached to the brake.
  • Nope. But feel free to prove me wrong, go out and get up some speed, then lock your rear up and jam on the front brake and see if you don’t get pitched over.
  • Agreed, no redundancy.

Rear brakes are good for loose surfaces as already mentioned, as a skidding front is less controllable than a skidding rear.

Then there’s tandems, that extra weight that far back from the front wheel is too hard to lift off the ground, so instead you can skid the front wheel.

All points acknowledged. I guess I’m wrong, and you can stop a bike with a front brake only in the same amount of time as a bike with both front and rear brakes?

Sounds like time to rent a tandem snowflake…

i want to brake a hipster. or something or other…

I may be a little bit different, but I enjoy seeing more and more people ride fixed gear. I just like to see the different bikes people ride and I prefer seeing fixies :-o

I get more angered about people trying to criticise them with comments like ‘Your bike has no gears, its crap’ or ‘your bike has no brakes, its stupid’ or ‘pfft you can’t even stop pedalling on that thing’.

Or, “are you colour blind?:wink:

He asked if there were any questions!

Hmm not so much, I kinda brought that one on myself.

And Im assuming that guy actually rides bikes.

Thought it was relevant because it was red and green (Well pink and green) which are the colours which most colour blind people can’t tell the difference between!

Really?, thats fairly odd. Them colour blind folk sure are missing out!

What number do you see!

I see the number 12 yet could be mistaken, did one a few of those colour tests one time and thought the word ‘color’ was ‘onion’. That one was blue and brown… I think?

Do you mean to tell me that its not “666” and the voices arent reall? :smiley:

No no no, the voices are real, but it’s the number 12 Omar :wink:

soooo, seeing a 12 is… good?
or bad?
or just means you can see 12’s maybe?
i’m cp3 according to the army.
wouldn’t let me fly but loved having me spot camo stuff for them since it works 50% on color and the rest on shape.