recommend me a rim for a dyno wheel

So I just scored a SP PD-8 dyno hub and now need to decide on a hub to build it to.

Requirements are:
-32H

• wider rim to fit biggest possible tire ( thinking around 21-23mm rim for 35-40mm tires)
  • strong enough for off road bike packing
  • disc specific is preferred
  • black (its going on my Soma which is already black on black on black on black)
  • decent pressure range- will see gravel/cross tires mostly but would be nice to be able to handle around 100psi for the odd road ride

I was originally thinking of Stans Crests but think they are only pressure rated up to about 50psi???

Other options that spring to mind are:
Speedway rim from Shifter Dan
Something carbon
Stans Alphas
WTB

Anything else I have missed?

I got some Pacenti TL28s (650b) cheap from On-One/PlanetX for the Kumo.
I weigh over 90kg and have bikepacked over 4000km with a full load, plus heaps of other non-loaded off-roading. They are still dead true, but that’s also partially due to the strength of the spokes and Brakefree’s building.
There’s also the narrower CL25, which is the same profile but narrower.

Pluses:
[ul]
[li]They come with a sticker but it comes off easy to give an all black look.[/li][li]Disc brake specific[/li][li]Tubeless ready[/li][li]28 and 32 hole, in both 650b and 29/700[/li][/ul]

Cheers, forgot about Pacenti, another one to add to the list!

I think it will eventually come down to what I can get for the best price, so many similar styled rims to choose from

Only thing I missed was whether you want 650B or 700C size rim.

I’m happy with my HED Belgium+ (all black) but if I went and built up another set for the Wolverine I’d be looking at a WTB KOM or Frequency Team in 25mm width.

Only reason would be to reduce the sidewall of the rim, HED Belgium + use the same extrusion that allows for rim brakes, while a disc specific rim doesn’t need that and can drop a bit of weight.

Belgium + disc specific fit your bill too. Can’t find their pressure rating but I’ve ridden them to road pressures (80-90 psi) with no probs, and they are tubeless ready if you want to go down that way later on (given the intended use, I’m guessing you might).

Not cheap though.

EDIT: just saw Geoff’s post, not sure if disc specific version takes into account Geoff’s points.

oh yeah, 700c is what im after.

I’ve got WTB I23’s in 27.5/650B on my MTB and have been very happy with them.

I didnt put HED’s on the list as I dont think I can justify the extra $$, super nice rims but yeah non disc specific = extra weight. Also will be looking at building a Hope 11sp rear wheel to match later on down the track so any cost savings now will be handy

I understand that the difference between the Belgium + rims for rim brake vs disc brake is the machined rim is for rim brakes and the all black is for discs. There is no real difference between the specs otherwise, same rim profile and weights, just different hole choices.

Belgium Plus clincher
Tire Type: Clincher (tubeless compatible)
Rim Width (External): 25mm
Rim Depth: 24mm
Hole Counts: 20, 24, 28, 32
Color: Black
Brake Track: Machined (silver)
Wheel Size: 700c
Weight: 465 grams
ERD: 592mm
Part #: RI65
MSRP: $150

Belgium Plus Disc clincher
Tire Type: Clincher (tubeless compatible)
Rim Width (External): 25mm
Rim Depth: 24mm
Hole Counts: 28, 32
Color: Black
Brake Track: N/A
Wheel Size: 700c
Weight: 465 grams
ERD: 592mm
Part #: RI110
MSRP: $150

^ Interesting. Maybe you lose in weight, but win on #aerogainz, given the profile on both Belgium versions is the same? Dunno though.

Found these links with pics of the rim profile.

Rim brake.

http://www.prowheelbuilder.com/hed-belgium-plus-25mm-clincher-alloy-rim.html

vs Disc brake.

No discernible difference between them?

WTB.

Or China carbon.

$132.72 for shipping.

yeah this is what im leaning towards.

http://www.wtb.com/products/frequency-cx … or carbon.

got stuck in the dark depths of rim widths research, seems 23mm internal diameter might be too wide for road/gravel tires, also seems most 23mm ID rims have quite low pressure ratings.

HPlusSons Archetype fits the bill. Almost as good as a Belgium at a fraction of the cost. Far better than a23’s too.

the archetype is a no for tubeless so that would discount it for me.

Don’t forget that maximum pressure varies with tyre width, so they might only quote the pressure for the widest tyre.

How about the wtb frequency i19?

There’s also the wtb Chris cross, you’ll have to paint the sidewalls though.

Wouldn’t have thought so, 23mm internal width would be ~ 27mm external width, and for road/gravel tires you’re looking at 28mm up to and beyond 42mm tires.

Would come down to what width tires will you be running? What fits in your fork?

Shiiiiit I paid nowhere near that. I ordered 8 rims, paid for 6 and paid heaps less shipping.

ah, see I was thinking maximum pressure was to do with the strength of the rim sidewall, meaning it may fail it used with say a 28mm/30mm road tire @ 100psi

fork fits up to 50mm but frame only to approx 40mm, so will going mostly on that.

TBH 95% of the time this wheel will see either a 38/40mm cross/gravel tire or a 35mm kojak or similar so not going to be running crazy high pressure but just wanted to make sure I wasn’t setting it up to fail by running 60-90psi. I’m hoping to have this wheel last for a long time.

There was few tables like the one below that seemed to suggest for versatility i’d be better off with a 19mm ID

|[TABLE]
|
[TR=“bgcolor: #CCCCCC”]
[TD=“width: 113”]
|Tire section width
|
[TD=“align: center”]Rim width
(mm)
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]18
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]20
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]23
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]25
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]28
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]32
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]35
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]37
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]40
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]44
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]47
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]50
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]54
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]57
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]60
[/TD]
[TD=“width: 34”]62
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD]13c
[/TD]
[TD=“bgcolor: #FFFFFF”]x
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[TD=“bgcolor: #FFFFFF”]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]|15c
|
|
|x
|x
|x
|x
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|17c
|
|
|
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|
|
|
|
|
|19c
|
|
|
|
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|
|21c
|
|
|
|
|
|
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|
|23c
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|
|25c
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|
|27c
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|x
|
|29c
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|x
|x
|x
|x
|

[/TD]
[TD]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

^ is that width measurement done on the internal or external of the rim?

Remember there’s an aero advantage to wider rims too :wink:

Interesting engineering spiel from Mavic.

http://engineerstalk.mavic.com/the-right-tyre-width-on-the-right-rim-width/

This chart says for a given tyre width (left column) which rim widths can be used (middle column for hookless rims, right column for regular rims).

Example of reading: a 23mm tyre can be safely mounted on traditional rims of 13mm to 16mm (internal width). On any rim wider than 16mm, it is not possible to use a 23mm tyre safely.

On the other hand, a rim that is 21mm wide internally, can only accept tyres from 35mm and above.

I’ve got a previous (I think?) version of this on the rear of my bike. It works fine, insomuch as I haven’t had to think about it since I got it.

A+ would buy again.