Request: Advice choosing crankset for SS build

you guessed right.

Splash out and get a set of Omniums, only they’re 144BCD. The ring is a beauty, they’re stiff as dried cat shit and will be easy to offload if you wanna sell them. The BB is the only thing letting them down. And only $50 more than the S300’s…

I’m sure you’d be able to offload the chainring to someone here as well and put the money towards a 3/32-144.

My 2c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SRAM-Omnium-Silver-172-5mm-Track-Crank-Set-Bike-Fixed-Gear-with-Bottom-Bracket-/291222649059?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ce38f8e3

don’t introduce more options! OP is confused enough already.

Plus 3/32 130BCD rings are waaaaay easier and cheaper to source than 3/32 144!

Buy the messengers, PM me and ask if I still have a BB to suit and a ring that works with your desired gearing (nearly certain I do for both), ride the fricken bike for a while and then decide if they’re not fit for purpose.

I have plenty of 3/32-144’s… 39/52’s. How much life they have is another story.

Likewise, I have a complete run of 42-48 plus some 5x, but they’re not everywhere like road rings are.

Thanks all (especially AL9000) for being so generous with your time and thoughts. I think I might PM AL9000 with my final questions if that’s ok.

The trigger has been pulled!

Sugino Track Fixie Road Bike Crankset RD2 Messenger 44T 165mm Black

If it’s good it’s good, and if it’s not I’ll deal with it then.

breathes

^ Why on Earth did you get the Suginos?

:stuck_out_tongue:

Tongue in cheek noted PIN20

I got them because:

a) They were cheaper and easier to get and I need to have less analysis paralysis (thanks AL9000)
b) I tallied up people’s opinions in this chat for fun, and came up with the following summary:

Lachlan92 Sugino
Snowflake Don’t get 1/8"
Dice Sugino
Zach Sugino
rcoh Sugino
AL9000 Sugino
larfinboy Sugino chainline annoying but ok if running freewheel
iwearmoccos Sugino
horatio SRAM is stiffer
RidingDirtier Get SRAM Omnium

My own indecision is a barrier to me actually building this and riding it, so screw it. If they suck I can always change them in future, but I am sure they will be fine.

:

They are just fine. I’ve had 5 sets of them in 165, 170 & 172.5mm, never had dramas.