retiring from ebay

scam for sure.
its always for a son and they are always abroad. Their writing is far to formal to include “hv” and twice in two lines… just keep your info to yourself. when ever you think its a scam it probably is.

Thanks for the heads up. I started to get a bit sus when I realised he was spending the whole email telling me about him rather than asking a single question about the fucking bike.

PayPal is pretty secure, but I’ve heard of scammers asking for your PayPal account, and then pretending to send money to you, then they give you some excuse that the payment didn’t work and that you’d have to send them a refundable fee via PayPal so that they can pay someone to come and pick the item up. On a forum a while ago, I read about a pretty funny situation where a scammer got scammed by the guy he was trying to scam. It got to the point where the scammer was asking the guy to teach him how to scam properly. Funny shit.

eBay is great, but it can get really weird. Its fees are huge as well, so I’m phasing out my eBay wheels.

it’s a scam.

even if they send payment and you send the bike, a few days later they’ll hit you up on paypal with a claim of “item not as described”

paypal WILL find in their favour and you’ll be out a bike and they will get their money back.

Definite scam. If there prepared to send some one to pick up the wheels can’t that person pay you

Really?
Isn’t that a massive flaw in PayPal if you can do this.

I agree the dude is a scammer- but I still don’t completely understand how the ‘scam’ works.

Perhaps this is phase 1 of the scam where they try and sound legit, and then in phase 2 they change the payment method all of a sudden or something?

It’s the internet. If it at all seems a bit suss, then it definitely is !

normally the technique at least in the US they use is to send you a cheque for more then the cost of the item, and ask you to wire transfer the difference back to them. then in a couple of days, the international cheque either bounces, or is withdrawn by the bank, and you’re out of pocket the money+ possibly the item as well.

Glad these don’t get used much anymore…

Yeah, paypal can do that. It happened to my girlfriend’s sister. She sold something on eBay, got paid though paypal, posted the item, buyer said it was never received, paypal refunded her the money (even though my girlfriend’s sister posted the item). It was like a $40 sale or something.

it’s a huge flaw but the reason paypal find in the buyers favour 99% of the time is that when a customer wants their money back, paypal get stung by the bank as they are the clearing house for the transaction (they aren’t a bank, hence why they can do what they want). so rather than paying themselves, they sting the seller to get their money back regardless of whether the seller is in the right or wrong.

google “paypal sucks” and find the website about how shite they are, their illegal practises and all the lawsuits, including class actions against them.

Ive never had a problem selling on ebay, only buying.

honesty helps

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320445808461

wow you took it outside for a risque public photo shoot, then got keith haring to work his magic on it. wish i bought it with that sort of history :smiley:

I’m going to get you to list my stuff for sale from now on.