Scale of the Universe

Pretty cool little thing.
Scale of Universe - Interactive Scale of the Universe Tool

Thanks for posting. Thats awesome

I’ve always liked this one for terms of perspective

http://blog.benchside.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/image-thumb.png

*edit: damn you ianhuman, you beat me to it with a freakin gif too

Moving pictures sonny, it’s where the future is.

I thought my ego should have registered in there somewhere :wink:

VY Canis Majoris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

“If the Earth were to be represented by a sphere one centimeter in diameter, the Sun would be represented as a sphere with a diameter of 109 centimetersat a distance of 117 meters. At these scales, VY Canis Majoris would have a diameter of approximately 2.3 kilometers, assuming the upper limit estimate of its radius”

fark…

I’ve read somewhere that if Canis Majoris (clever name btw “Big Dog”) was the same temperature/luminosity as Sol and the same distance away from us*, if we looked into the sky almost all we would be able to see from horizon to horizon would be the sun… no sky, just Canis Majoris.

*this is based on the hypothetical that we wouldn’t be blinded and/or vaporised by the intensity etc

I really enjoy how humbling the universe can be

Well if this image is anything to go by, I’d believe that.

Thanks for posting. Thats awesome

I was feeling pretty insignificant when I’d finished scrolling through the scale. Then I realised that the human body falls more than halfway up the spectrum covered by the scale (yeah, I know - but I’m making a subjective/psychological observation, rather than an objective one).

As Augustus De Morgan said:
Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on,
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on
.”

One of my all time favourites.

//youtu.be/0fKBhvDjuy0

I love a bit Thursday afternoon perspective.

what the fuck? Giant fleas… Aaaarrrrrghghhghrrrghh

this has been around for a while, I’ve watched it about a dozen times. Really hits the spot. If you haven’t seen it already, enjoy!

YouTube - The Known Universe by AMNH

+1 (the new system wont let you post anything below 10 letters so thats why I’m posting this)