Sewing?

So I’m trying to sew a patch onto a bag but it doesn’t seem to want to go and I’ve already snapped 2 needles
So, does anyone have any tips/styles on the best way to do it also how to get it on the outer codura layer but not through the inner layer easily?
Thanks

Get the iron on patches.

Or that iron stuff for normal patches. Sewing stuff might affect the waterproofness.

Thanks but I’m pretty sure I was told I was told never to use iron on patches by Dave from Bo gear, or something to that effect

I ironed a patch on my BO bag, shrug, seems fine. Just did it on low and quickly.

Sounds like you need a thicker gauge needle. Even though it seems counter intuitive to get a thicker needle through a thick layer of fabric, you’ll need something thats not going to break against the thick cordura, which is what sounds like is happening. Being able to sew through a top layer and not the underneath layer is going to be tricky, as you wont be able to return the needle between the layers easily. In fact it would be bloody hard or near impossible. If I read between the lines you want to do this so water resistance isn’t compromised?

If you’re really set on this, the guys listed below, could unpick the top layer, sew the badge on and then re-sew the layers back together. None of that would be cheap.

These guys can fix almost anything outdoor related, too bad they now insist item drop off Point Cook, and not the CBD like they used to be.

Remote Repairs

or maybe send it to BOgear and they might be able to do it?

Just use the thicker needle and pinch the top layer and pick one strand(?) to go under…

You can get the iron on patches if you are slow and careful like MikeD. But most people are just Wham-Bam-Thank-You-Maam and put the heat waaaay to high. I have seen a few melted bags because of this (dog ugly). On the flipside, running the heat too low means it usually peels off over time… Which is why I tend to not recommend iron-on patches.

Best bet is to hand sew. Use a thicker gauge needle so it doesn’t snap - and a sharp one too. Probably going to have to head to Spotlight or some such place for this, as most clothes-repair kits stock shitty needles. Grab a thimble/thumb protection device at the same time. Straight needles are easier to punch through the cordura, but curved needles are easier to turn back towards you. I’d go a straight in this case.

As Kitchristopher said, pucker the top layer so you don’t punch through the PVC lining.

If you don’t care about aesthetics, take it to a cobbler, repair shop or any one with a slightly heavier weight sewing machine. Get them to punch through the PVC and the Cordura all at the same time. Then go to bunnings and grab a tube of silicone or waterproof sealant and then from the inside just smear it over the stitching. No pain in the fingers, and it still remains somewhat waterproof.

Truth be told, you aren’t going to loose too much waterproofing from punching through the flap as most bags have a front waterproof wall as well. It would just leak a drop or two of water.

Hope that helps!

Contact adhesive. I still have an Australian flag kwikgripped onto my ancient backpack from when I trotted off to the UK as a 19yo.

^ Wait. What? I thought flag badges were the exclusive domain of Canadian and New Zealand citizens.

Twoz the nineties dude. I was young…

Take it to a cobbler, they have industrial machines and will probably cost $10 max

Just take a drive anywhere in this country and count the Aussie flags in front yards. Then from the front yard to the backpack, that shouldn’t be too hard…

Yeah, I had it on low polyester setting and just did little dabs at a time, checked the PVC back every time and feeling it for heat.

I like to think the dog/wolfs eyes match the green in the BO logo… though the corners are getting a bit well dog eared.

Fucking RAD patch man! Where did you snag that?

My Sis gave it to me maybe 5 years ago, surprised I still have it, thought I better use it before I loose it.

Try doing a blanket stick. This is good for a few reasons… firstly, it’s a very easy stitch. Secondly, it is traditionally used for this kind of thing. Thirdly, you enter the needle and pass out the needle from the top surface, so you can do it without penetrating the layer underneath. - once you’ve gone through the badge and the top layer, you can “feel” with the needle end where you need to come up, and therefor do it accurately without the need to see the backside of your working surface.
Just take your time and you’ll get it right the first time. Plus you can choose a thread colour to blend/complement. Use embroidery thread though as its much stronger and thicker, but separate the strand in half so you’re only using about 3 or 4 threads. The full 6 will be too much… See here for what I mean… really easy, grab 3 strands in one hand, and 3 in the other and pull in opposite directions.

I learnt to hand stitch in india with studying textile design so I learnt from a pro! hahaha so hopefully this validates my opinion for you.

Hope it works out! Always nicer doing something yourself and a surprisingly handy thing to know how to stitch, especially at the rate cycling wears out the insides of pants!

Does anyone here still sew up there singles these days?

Whoops - in case anyone anyone didn’t understand.

There should have been their.