Shifter Dan in The Age

Yeah having grown up in Melbourne I got a bit of a rude shock when I came to Brisbane. There are some good bikeways here but they tend to end abruptly or not connect you where you need to go. The drivers up here are a shit tonne worse than down south.

Check out one of the bike routes across the river here in Brisbane. Urban planning fail. I love being sandwiched between an oncoming bus and an impatient motorist trying to pass too close.

victoria bridge - Google Maps

thinking about things in terms of relativeness (relativity??) is dangerous. it makes you complacent. just because there are fewer accidents or deaths involving cyclists in melbourne that some other city doesn’t make it more safe. just one death is a fucking tragedy, it shouldn’t be celebrated as some kind of statistical victory. also having legitimate concerns about your safety when you are riding isn’t a ‘first world problem’.

Ofcourse. You’re right there, and i totally agree with what you’ve said. I was never celebrating a statistical victory, every death on the roads is an unneccesary one.

I just can’t help but feel pretty lucky with what I/we’ve already got at the moment, this will only get better with more infrastructure and awareness, and that will only come with more people actually doing something and having input.

and of course with cadel winning the TdF things are bound to get better for cyclists :stuck_out_tongue:

what kind of hat are you wearing?

hahaha!!! classic HMC

i’m literally going to make a nacho hat tonight thanks to CC and p!n20’s suggestion*

*not literally

You mean figuratively.

I would agree with this. Riding in the suburbs sucks balls… big balls
I love riding either in the city, or out in the sticks. The in between parts I hate.

i want to punch people in the face who use the word ‘literally’ when they mean ‘figuratively’. literally.

xkcd cover most bases…