Short overnighter in Melbourne - Train to train?

I have a friend who is still relatively new to cycling. We are planning to do an overnight/microtour from Melbourne in mid November - travel out Friday night on train, ride <10km and camp, set off in the morning and take it slow.

Her daily limit is currently around 50km - so we’re looking for suggestions for relatively short routes between two train stations.

For me this will be as much a shakedown tour and a test of both our abilities for tour riding.

Train to Camperdown. Rail trail from there. On into Warrnambool. Train home from Warrnambool.

Train to Castlemaine, ride the “GDT Trail” to Ballarat Train Station. OR reverse. Stop at daylesford for the night/dinner.

I would say this is a bit tough in this case.

Did the Geelong-Queenscliff rail trail on the weekend with my gf. It’s about 65km return and very relaxed. Plus you can go for a swim, get an ice-cream, and check out a local brewery/winery on the Saturday.

Not sure where you’d camp on Friday night but I expect you could find somewhere around Drysdale station.

• Southern Cross to Euroa - 6pm to 8pm.
  • Camp at Euroa Caravan Park which is OK.
  • Euroa Village Market every 3rd Saturday you can pre-load some coffee and baked items, plus some extra carbs via Strathbogie Brewing’s stall before you set off.
  • Ride to Seymour Station to pick up return train - about 55ks and FLAT which is main thing for novice with packs - via back / service roads parallel to Hume Freeway. But suggest you probably ride about 70ks to make it more interesting and pick up some test gravel segments and stop off at a few wineries (which chicks always like). If she can do 50k a day she can probs do 70 with some long breaks and some wine.

Weather always better on northern side of dividing range at this time of year.