SPD Pedal Recommendations

I’m there pissing on the party with you.

I love my Eggbeaters. If you stay away from the low end model, everything is just fine.

This is what I said, and I think it might be true. Sealed bearings FTW. But they’re a fair bit more expensive the SPD M540s.

I thought M540 was all i needed to know. Now keen to try the single side release.

I’ve paid less for a pair of these pedals than I once paid for cleats (and the pedals come with cleats… the same cleats). Get em for under $50 and ride em for 2 years without thinking about em. Em. I reckon we must have 7 or 8 pairs on bikes in our garage.

Thanks for the input guys Shimano SPD M540s look appealing but pity i cant find any in black/don’t make them in black (OCD). Anyone tried Shimano XT PD-M785s?

When you guys refer to time ATAC is that any pedal from the ATAC range or certain particular models?

Cheers,

Chris

M520 comes in black, costs ~$30, will take at least 2 years to die, even when used everyday in all weathers, special tool is $3 if you want it or just throw them out when they die and buy another pair so you can replace your worn out cleats ;p

Or go the other way and get the nest model up from a 540 though i don’t know if black and have no experience with them

Yeah, the XTs then. They’re black.

have not tried the trail 785s, but have the no-platform recent XTs on my mtb and theyre good. can feel the bigger surface area compared to 540s, fo sho. Good way to go, but the big XT on the side will require sharpie.

M520s look like a winner. $35 shipped with cleats can’t really complain! Plus if i don’t enjoy them i will hardly incur a loss.

Order the service tool too if you can. That way you can regrease them in a year or two and keep them going.

Actually if you get the tool, re grease them straight away.
The tool allows you to pull the spindle out, but the bearings then require a couple of spanners to remove or adjust.
Unless they feel to tight from the factory just leave them alone (also leave them alone if you aren’t confident adjusting bearings, it’s impossible to stuff up the bearings if all you do is remove the spindle with the special tool)
slather waterproof grease everywhere (boat trailer bearing grease) and reassemble.
grease will ooze out the seal and probably continue to do it when yo ride for a few weeks but your bearings will now last even longerer

Have a pair of XT-M785’s on my dually, have done over 3,000kms on them in all manner of race and recreation conditions and they are still running strong almost 2 years on.

I run M520’s on my Ken roady, (1,300kms) and moved a second set of M520’s from the Peace 9r (3,300kms) to the Dambala Commuter (1,000kms) when the frame cracked.

So best I’ve got is 4,300kms on the same set of M520’s so far, pretty good for a $30 pair of pedals.

Do like the XT’s on the dually :slight_smile:

Time Atac Alium, as mentioned on first page.

You can suggest all the Shimano pedals you want, but if you’re riding brakeless fixed, then you should be running Time.

Needs work[i]

Fix it up is all that we know
Using the legs up as we go
I’m waking up to fix not free
The tenys all around
Aren’t the spoks we used to see
Broken cleats still shine in the sun
And SPDs that are broken
Can’t be one again
We’re geared alone
And ratios really matters to me
Take a look around

You’re out of tread
I’m out of time (time)
But I’m out of my head
When you’re not around
You’re out of tread
I’m out of time (time)
But I’m out of my pedal
When you’re not around
Oh, oh-oh, oh
Oh, oh-oh, oh

Reaching out for risers to hold
Looking for an oury
Where the alloy is cold
Manic moves and fixie dreams
Or splitting in the middle
Between the two trams
Smoking tyres hot to the touch
Would cool down
If we didn’t skid them so much
We’re geared alone
And ratios really matters to me
Too much

You’re out of tread
I’m out of time (time)
But I’m out of my head
When you’re not around
You’re out of tread
I’m out of time (time)
But I’m out of my pedal
When you’re not around
Oh, oh-oh, oh
Oh, oh-oh, oh[/i]

far out Blakey, bit of spare time this afternoon??!

a 1, 2, 3, 4

Blakey, You make my dreams come true…

what kind of dreams we talking about here …

these ones

//youtu.be/AGJXPXBJ2Js

Man, Hall and Oates, that’s classy.
Not quite Yacht rock … but still classy.

I’m a bit jealous, I keep forgetting we’re not in love anymore :wink:

//youtu.be/dim1dvO13PA

I wish I had had a yacht in the 80s in Florida so I could have listened to hall and Oates