Specialized AWOL or Salsa Fargo

I was tossing up the same question a while back and ended up getting a Velo Orange Piolet built. Cost quite a bit more but Didn’t regret it. There is one annoying issue with the positioning of the front derailleur cable mount causing difficult shifting but I am getting a welder to fix this. The new frames might have corrected this already. There is a good review on bikepacking.com that is pretty accurate.

If you really want “a kind of MTB” and are not hungup on the idea of steel drop-bar then you could go into a bike shop tomorrow and ride out on one of these for less than $2000

Giant Toughroad SLR1

Guys bikepacking/gravel grinding is just the glorious return of the “hybrid”

#actionhybrid

Boom!

Checkout this bangin’ Giant flatbar. Kinda reminds me of the cannondale slate

Yep, Cheeky have a medium Beyond demo bike on the floor you’re able to take out for a proper thrash. They usually have one or two other ones in different sizes to get a feel for sizing too.

I’m 6’5" on the XL one. Very comfortable, but also the biggest bike I’ve ever owned. They’re big bikes, particularly running the standard drop bars. So would really recommend getting a ride on one. (Not sure how tall you are Marc, but happy to let you borrow my XL if you live at high altitude like me me).

As for the bike… A+ really like mine (duh). Feels a tad awkward and slow without a load on it (like all proper touring bikes), but comes to life with a load on it. Absolutely dominates rough fire trails.

It’s effectively a copy of the Fargo. Salsa basically invented these bikes and they still make some of the best. Call DSG about the Fargo, or speak to the dudes at Cheeky (they should be able to order them in if you’re prepared to wait a few weeks).

This banter is getting good.

Sean’s just regretting going all in on rock climbing just as bikepackenduroallroad became the flavour of the month.

Just to throw another option in…I looked at most of the bike mentioned above and ended up going for a Niner RLT9 Steel…and have no complaints thus far, either on or off road.

Great thanks mate. I am probably a Medium (being 1.80m) so will have a look at Cheeky when I get a chance. Was hoping for a bike that feels as alive when its unloaded so maybe its not what I am looking for then. Guess I need to ride one to really get an idea though.

shame you don’t ride a small :wink:

@crustbikes for sale to save on luggage fees I assume.

i think i’m the only one on this forum who has an AWOL, so fwiw…

i’ve used it for 100km dirt road/fire trail rides. 100k single trail/tarmac rides. short punchy single trail.
rooty, rocky trails. snowy trails.

and it’s been ace and fun and stable as all hell.

it is not zippy but i’ve never felt anything but stable on it.

i have the stock entry model from the first release.

i am about to sell it as i had a custom cx built up to do all those rides

Quick reply regarding fargo, I have one of the early, non-suspension corrected ones. I commute on it, have carried kid on back rack, and have ridden singletrack on it. Still yet to spend a night out on it. I have it set up 3 x 9 with thumbies, square taper crankset and BB7s, hope/SP dyno to Arch EX, rolling on small block 8s. It is way better on the singletrack than I thought it would be. Its also way better on the road than I thought it would be. Its heavy, but seems to put me in a nice position to pedal well. Like the AWOL feelings above, stability is an overarching sensation when riding.

Lol

nah I already quit rock climbing haven’t you heard. Stand-up-Paddle-Board-yoga-to-balaeric-house is where it’s at…

brb, checking your instagram

Kids these days…