SRAM XX1 Prototype 1x11

I can’t see how this “barbed” chainring which holds the chain securely enough to get rid of the chainguide, is NOT going to have massive chainsuck problems letting the chain go at the other end. Chainguides are like 25g or something now, just use one and a standard chainring?

• Joel

XXI, but only on a 650B…

whats-driving-the-650b-explosion

think i’d be more worried at the length the rear mech is going to be.

Even with a very broad cassette it will still have less chain slack/differencial than most 2x10 setups which means that you can run a shorter mech. Thats actually one of the advantages.

So when are you buying this?? :smiley:

… but the parrallel link might have to be longer to get down to a 42? It wouldnt be by much, though? I guess even if its only a bit longer, it will have to built a bit stronger/thicker/heavier to keep it as stiff, which would probably remove the advantage of a shorter swing arm.

question: did i just invent the use of “Swing arm?” Should I be saying “cage”. I prefer swing arm.

More info here:

SRAM XX1 1×11 Drivetrain Gets Official, Shifts Into New Technology! - Bike Rumor

In my opinion, utter piece of crap.

Claimed weight with BB is 650g, about 50g lighter than the standard double BB30 crankset.

Cassette comes in at a claimed 260g (versus 208g for an 11-36 XX 10-speed).

RD is about 220g for the rear derailleur (compared to 181g for the lightest XX model).

Overall, weight savings from the crankset is countered by the cassette and rear derailleur, but as a system it should come in reasonably lighter by eliminating the front shifter and derailleur.

-Wow, front shifter and derailleur weigh soo much.

-Couldn’t find the BCD of the cranks but I bet they are proprietary and therefore not compatible with anything else, as usual.

Yeah, but noone’s paying you for your opinion!

BCD doesn’t matter, the tooth profiles are 1x specific, so why would you use a ramped/pinned ring. Other companies will produce rings to suit in short order. And as if you can call these out for being proprietary and incompatible yet gush over DA9000!

Hey H,

Perhaps its time you stopped using tech spec sheets as the sole method by which to judge the merit of a product. Yes, weight is a consideration, but I’ve said it before in this thread and I’ll reiterate it for you - weight is not the main driving force behing the development of a 1x drivechain, problems encountered with front shifting performance and chain drops on 2x/3x setups are.

BCD is irrelevant as XX crank arms are spiderless/have replaceable spiders. Just like your beloved Cannondale’s RD new cranks. Its a development that came out of SS MTB (ie Paul Eno cranks), and is ideal for weight weenie douchebaggery. You can already by spiderless OEM chainrings for XX crank arms. Slinky runs one on one of his bikes. Also the 11 speed setup is designed to run a 10 speed chain so I’m sure you can run a unprofiled chainring if you so desire.

The 11-speed cassette will be popular with racers, not sure how suitable it will be with the punters but I doubt people would complain about a lower on their 1x setups.

SRAM XX1 1×11 Drivetrain Gets Official, Shifts Into New Technology! - Bike Rumor

Some more marketing on it.

I’d say it would be the other way round DICE, the punters who think it will be less drivetrain maintenance and improve there shifting will be all over it. The race guys who know their current set-up and that actually understand their bikes may take awhile to take it up.

SRAM have also released a ‘clutch’ mechanisim like on the shimano trail RD’s

If I was buying a MTB, I reckon I’d be into it. Some smart engineering going on from SRAM.

//youtu.be/nI1qz4OB5Rs

Lol mtbs

SRAM XX1 Eleven Speed Group - First Ride - Pinkbike

One of the first products in a long time that has caught my eye. I can’t wait to see if they actually drop the chain or not…

The not being able to smash down to a granny quickly was an interesting comment.

Has anyone here ridden/seen it in the flesh yet?

OK, initial thoughts on the SRAM XX1…its freaking amazing!!!