Sticking tubulars?

Don’t forget a tin of thinners to clean up any spills!

Good advice.

First time I tried it solo I had a wheel in an upside down old frame in my appartment lounge room = glue on the carpet = FAIL

is that better or worse than glue on the dog? :expressionless:

reminds me of a poem :smiley:

Tubasti
by Aldo Ross

[i]Tubasti on the sidewalls
Tubasti on the spokes
Tubasti on the workbench
And a bunch of cotter bolts

Tubasti on the visegrips
Tubasti on my arm
Tubasti on my chin and cheek
I hope it won’t cause harm

Tubasti on the light switch
Tubasti on the cats
Tubasti on my shoes and socks
And on my car’s floor mats

Tubasti on the carpet
Tubasti in my hair
I tried to glue just one damn tire
Now Tubasti’s everywhere[/i]

When gluing singles it is always important to place particular attention to the valves before sticking the tyre onto the rim.

I always Loctite any removable valve long before the sticking process, especially if the rim is quite deep and you need to extend the valve length.

It is a bit of a disaster when your valve unthreads at the core once you have done a great job sticking the tyre onto the wheel, the Loctite ensures everything will stay in place and you will not have any leaking air at such a high pressure.

I also always use a brass valve adapter when pumping up singles on a bike.

The brass adapter prevents the valve from snapping/bending which is not great for a tyre that takes considerable time to put on (especially between races).

The brass adapter also gives your pump better purchase on the threads (the threads are thicker on the brass adapter) making high pressures much easier to achieve.

A brass adapter costs $3.00 from most bike shops, 10% off if you are a Bicycle Victoria member…

Tip no 83: White Plumbers tape on valve extender threads.

I arranged today to meet with Troy from the King George Cycle Centre to watch him glue the tubez to the rims.
He is a great guy and a good mechanic so I’m pretty excited about this one.

1970’s Cecil Walker resto is almost complete :mrgreen: