Strap ons/Clip alternatives.

Anyone want to report on their experiences?
I’ve only had a short ride with Hold Fasts. They felt excellent. Especially if you are in the habit of wearing large skate shoes instead of vans or volleys like everybody else.
Bogear’s straps look like they’d hold your shoe perfectly but it looks like the straps will bend out and curl away from the middle loop after a while and be ugly.
WIG straps look really simple and seem like an improvement from the Hold Fast design which have metal bits sticking out everywhere and as one person on a forum somewhere mentioned, hurt your feet through canvas shoes.

I made a prototype of some straps similar to WIG’s and they feel a bit fiddly. Thickness of strap webbing is v. important.

DIY!

The DIY really shows… The bear trap pedals are a winner though. Why are there so many bmx pedals on fixies? I’ve hit the road when freewheeling with them on my mountain bike!
I just ordered some materials and I’m going to copy the WIGs outright.
Might sell some if they turn out good enough. The price of WIGs are high enough before shipping and dollar exchange.

lol, have fun with that. the holdfast/chicago wig is really just a SLIGHTLY modified double strap. which just tried to modify the original issue, FAIL.

have fun making your own pair, but it will take alot more than one pair for you to get a hold of what works and what dosnt. There is alot more to the BO straps than you can see in the pics :wink:

also, the BO straps are awesome and dont bend out as you suggest, just ask the guys who have been running them for a while now.

and finally i think this sums it up, from the biggest guy in the fixed gear trick scene, I have highlighted some interesting bits of info for you :wink:

Chris Fonseca, No Cassettes, 5th September, 2009.

Henry and I are riding the straps, I’ve been filming for my section in Gnarcotix and it’s a downhill section. My foot has not slipped out yet nor has adjusted while riding. The straps are strong, thick and the top piece holds the foot in perfectly. You have a good product coming out. One thing that could be worked on is the strap part that connects to the pedal, when falling on your side the straps kind of wear down, other then that there awesome.

Henry is loving the straps too, He never rode straps until I gave him the other set. His bunny hop 180 bar-spins are on lock now.

People who have ridin Henry’s and my bike love them and would like to know when they are coming out. What will you call them and will there be different colors?

I would like to film an ad for you and be your rep for the USA!

We are working on a new project and I have a clip in Macaframa 2 next year. I would like to know if you could send 2 or 3 more sets out for some other riders I am and will be filming?

Thank you for the opportunity to let me try out your product and I know you have a winner in your hands. I ridin Hold Fast and I fully can’t commit nor feel confident while riding in there straps.

Thanks

I don’t see what’s so hard on dropping a LITTLE $$ on a local product.

Maybe someone should post up an OG prototype and go through the different incarnations of the BOGear Strap so people can see the difference and testing done to reach this final version.

Fuck webbing.

yeh, i bought a complete set up from hell on wheels: strap ons plus a set of steel(?) bmx pedals for $85. it was either that or buy a set of toshis for $135, which is a bit of overkill for a street bike.
the strapons are really well constructed, possibly even a little over-engineered. i cant see the middle support bit ever bowing out of shape: there are so many layers of pvc and velcro there, these things will outlast my bike.

Whoa. Propaganda and hating! Get a massage.
I did say Bogear looks like it would hold your shoe perfectly. They’d be my choice if I wasn’t talking about making straps that cost under $5 instead of $55.
I see everything new in terms of whether I can make it myself and save money.

Oh and a big P.S: If I sold any it would be like 5 cause I’m a lazy bastard. Hardly competition for anybody.

Looking for opinions on what WIG/Holdfast are like to ride with.
Have you seen webbing wear in pedals Straight Xed?

http://www.pedalconsumption.com/files/hold_fast_straps_rule.html
http://www.tricktrack.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2813&start=20 (halfway down page…)
http://prollyisnotprobably.com/2009/07/hold_fast.php

http://www.pedalconsumption.com/files/tag-toe-straps.html heaps of shit here.

google is your friend. up to 25 posts yet? :evil:

I’ve been coming to this site for a year. I was surprised to see just how little I post.

Edit: Half a year :smiley:

I just dropped in there today to check them out. Felt really solid / well constructed. I’m planning on getting a set ($55) plus some pedals, but don’t know too much about BMX pedals. Anything in particular to look for, or should I just go for whichever $30 plastic pedals fit the straps without modifications?

I rode Moustache Dan’s B.O.G. straps yesterday. Felt good once I got my foot in, but I had heaps of trouble flipping the pedal over.

Kouriah Dan has some Holdfast straps on his bike. Maybe try em both out.

Is that because they were a tight fit, or because they’re heavier than you’re used to?

Maybe because they don’t have a tab to catch your shoe like mks etc. Everyone has trouble the first time the use them. Its no different to conventional strap/cages and straps to get your foot into after seriously an hour of riding around town.

Heavier than my usual MKS Sylvans / clips / doubles. And the lack of a tab made it awkward.

yeah thats it, doesn’t take long before it just becomes natural. Also i notice that on a fresh set of odyssey pedals it takes a little while for the bearings to loosen up. But once they are you;re off and racing.

yeh, i’ve got the same issue. getting more used to it now, but i still have those awkward moments when pulling away from lights. on the upside, my trackstands have improved considerably cos i just dont want to take my feet out…

we actually weighed the BO straps against a traditional track pedal+cage+toshi double, I cant remember the difference, but it was actually much less than you would think. BO Dave, did you write down the results when we did this?

and ill agree with everyone else here, as myself and gypo have been riding them the longest, that at first the lack of tab to flip the pedal over is a bit odd, but once you are used to it, a little tap of the top of the pedal swings it around and you’r straight nto them :wink:

Granted I rode them for about six minutes.

I don’t reckon it’ll be long before some one releases a BMX flat with a tab on it…

There’s seriously no need for it. You just get so used to nudging the pedal and catching it.

i have to agree with this :wink: