Strap ons/Clip alternatives.

trading access anybody? :evil:

Matt Meads already got a set :stuck_out_tongue:

I did this at the macaframa screening. BO straps felt the same way I predicted. Really tight fitting. There’s definitely a weight difference but it’s not so bad. The fact that they’re plastic odysseys probably helps.
Holdfast seemed to have more give in them (maybe I didn’t tighten them well enough) but I still feel good about them.

It’s all pretty good but if I was spending $55 I’d probably go for BO purely because i’d feel good about the effort/materials/locality.

Also the webbing on holdfasts is pretty tough and they don’t hit the ground like I was worried about.

I just ordered a pair of Strap Ons. But i’m also keen to order some powergrips

Anyone who has ridden both got any comments?

today was my first day riding with strap on’s
never been this secure and comfort!! LOVE IT
yea 've got problem to get clip in (in just the first 30 min :-P)

wo i would say just leave those clip for track racing and apart from that
STRAP ONS WIN :evil:

Huh?
Wear a helmet?

I’ve tried powergrips once and settled on a fail. They hold your foot funny.
But my friend who owned them is planning on buying more. He’s funny like that though.
The idea is that they tighten by twisting your foot into the strap.

That’s my concern that you’d have to keep twisting your leg to keep the strap tight, may get tiring

I’ve been riding with the strap-ons for a few days now and I’m really happy with them. I’m finding it easier to get my feet into them than my old plastic cages / nylon straps, because the straps are pretty rigid so when the pedal flips around your foot slides straight in.

The one thing I’m finding a little disconcerting is how locked in you feel when your foot’s shoved all the way in. It’s a good thing – just hard to get used to. With traditional straps/cages, I found that if they were adjusted tightly for riding it was a bitch to get my feet in/out. With the straps, they’re nice and tight but not a hassle at lights etc.

Much bigger/chunkier than I expected too, but I guess I’ll get used to that as well.

Shoulda seen how chunky early prototypes were which myself and Nate tested :evil:
The final material which we settled on, is considerably slimmer. This is clearly evident during installation and was the first thing i noticed when i rode them.

Just a tip, if your feeling too locked in on the front cos you’ve shoved your foot right in, tighten the front a touch and have a play around with were your foot sits on the pedal surface area.

trying out some power grips myself.

seem ok so far.

I found that having a weighted bolt on the front of the pedal made access easier as it meant the pedal hung vertically which i could then tap-down into