Suggest me a small break

I have just had some leave approved for a week off work on October 15-23 and looking for a bit of an adventure for the wife and I. We loved the Great Ocean Road adventure a year and a bit ago and the suggestions from FoA were super valuable with helping us discover places we wouldn’t have normally have thought about.

I am hoping to pick the brains of the FoA hive mind to throw up some good options four our small break. Road trip preferred and we will be on a bit of a budget due to the house renovations.

Quick ideas are Beechworth, Bright, Mt Beauty… etc. Anyone else have any suggestions? I’m not sure if I should just base myself in one spot, or move from place to place the whole time.

Beechworth Bright Mt Beauty etc (Yackandandah Harrietville Myrtleford Hotham Falls Creek)

And or Wilson’s Prom

Or coast to Wilson’s Prom then back up through Omeo

All the ‘b’ towns

if you haven’t been to the places you named, go there. don’t forget mt buffalo.

Even if you have been there, go again. It’s great there

Or go somewhere else that’s also great

i could retire to that part of the world i reckon.

get a dog.

maybe take up the pipe and glare at folk from the verandah.

Brisbane

They have jobs there you know Rolls

but then I’d never see your pretty face.

reckon I’d get pretty lonely.

My first thought was Wilsons Prom, then I saw Toasty’s post, great minds.

I reckon that’s a common feeling with moving from the city, but every time I’ve done it I’ve felt lonely initially and then made friends that I still have now

And I haven’t seen you for too long…

I love bright but you are coming out of a Canberra winter, go north.
First night drive to cresent head, second night go to broken head or Byron
Grow your hair chill, swim eat drive home.

Mate. This cuts deep :wink:

Tassie? Or does it need to be a road trip?

Probably not enough time for the tassie trip I have in mind.

Derby is almost a day trip :slight_smile:

Australian alps are great… might be chilly but theres some awesome walks/hikes. plenty of opportunities for #coffeeoutside

Beechworth has never blown me away like bright/mount beauty etc… ymmv.

FOA seems to like newcastle :wink:

I have been to Beechworth before for Six Hours in the Saddle. The mtb tracks are great. The brewery is pretty good too.

I will see what I can put together for a Thredbo, Bright, Mt Beauty etc. loop.

For awesome cheap accommodation rent a caravan at the Harrietville caravan park. Ask for one of the vans that sit right on the Ovens River. They have a second room built on the side, so lots of space. And they have a porch out the back that looks right onto the river with bush on the other side. Great spot for a post-ride relaxing beer. It’s actually the nicest spot in all of Harrietville yet only $65 a night. Short walk to the pub for dinner. And the Mt Hotham climb starts literally right there. Best caravan in Australia.

Unreal! Thanks for the tip!

Bright is amazing, too cold? Never.