Sugino OX601D

So I started out looking for a new BB and ended up looking for a new compact double crankset with the BB included.
Then I googled OX601D which brought me back here.

Nice to know that cyclingdeal soemtimes have them because I’ve bought lots of stuff from them over the years. I’ve always found them to be pretty good to deal with. But they only have the 172.5 in black at the moment. Great price though, $AUD249 is about half of $US399 which is what SOMA want. But SOMA seem to have plenty of options in stock, including the 165mm 44/30 in silver which is what I want. I’ll have to contact cyclingdeal to see when they will have new stock.

Meanwhile, I found this alternative. IRD Defiant Wide Double compact. It comes in 46/30 with 165 cranks for $US217 but the BB is not included. Still much cheaper than the Sugino. Anybody heard anything about IRD? I’ve never heard of them before now.

There’s also these at VO. http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/cranksets/cranks/grand-cru-50-4bcd-crankset-mkii.html

EDIT: forgot to mention that whatever I get needs to work with SRAM rival 10-speed because I’ve got no intention of changing the shifters just yet.

Don’t get the VO cranks.

IRD… eh. if you do that, why not just get an old triple.

The cheap way if you can’t snare the cyclingdeal set (try website and ebay, listings vary) is to get either an old square taper MTB triple and use the inner and middle rings. 110/74 or 94/58. Or get a shimano road triple in 130/74 and use the middle and inner. Note that some use granny off the middle, you don’t want those ones (eg 7803 and 6703 bad, 6603 good). Leave the outer bare or fit a guard.

Can you deal with octalink?

Can you deal with 170mm?

square taper 165mm
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161880134332

This might help your shift to the 30

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/111844841583

Because I’m assuming that a triple would need new shifter. Am I wrong? Could SRAM Rival work with a triple? And, I’m no weight weenie but all those extra grams add up after a while. But is there more to it that? I don’t see why you would compare one to the other. I’ve got an old triple (Sora 2011 version) sitting in the shed.

The cheap way if you can’t snare the cyclingdeal set (try website and ebay, listings vary) is to get either an old square taper MTB triple and use the inner and middle rings. 110/74 or 94/58. Or get a shimano road triple in 130/74 and use the middle and inner. Note that some use granny off the middle, you don’t want those ones (eg 7803 and 6703 bad, 6603 good). Leave the outer bare or fit a guard.

Can you deal with octalink?

Yeah sure.

Can you deal with 170mm?

Probably, I’ve been dealing with it 172.5 since forever, but I really would like to try 165 to see if it reduces knee soreness.

VO: 50.4
IRD: 94

If you like the TA/Stronglight look, go for it, but I reckon there’s better solutions, and some of VO’s stuff is questionable functionally. A 110/74 or 130/74 will have the cheapest and easiest to source rings

You only need a new FD if the rings are way outside what the cage shape works with or the throw doesn’t work. I’ve shifted a 46/30 crankset with: 8sp XT / Campy 9sp CT / 6400 8sp / CX70 10sp. All work, even the 6400 which should be the worst but is possibly the best.

That said, any shimano FD is probably better than a (non Yaw) sram FD…

It’s not Sram rival working with a triple per se, as you’re only running two rings, so the throw is still the same. The only issue is if the ring pair is too far inboard or outboard for the mech, which is unlikely, but if it is get this awesome doover.

Biggest issue with a 130/74 crank setup is getting a 46T ring with pins and ramps that has the pocket for the chainring nut on the right (correct) side.
Not a big deal, just run longer nuts.
Having a guard on the outside is a nice feature and is a nicer aesthetic for most people.

I picked up a set of Shimano 94BCD cranks from MikeD and put some rings on them in the middle and outer position.

IRD cranks would be just fine, not sure how well their rings shift.
Middleburn do a really nice sub-compact/wide double setup but is exxy.

I’ve never seen Cycling Deal stock another other arm length/ring combo. 172.5mm with 46/30T was all they’ve had.
Bought a set from the first lot they had, which sold out. Second batch was same setup but more monies.

Try these guys Alex’s Cycle

Looks like the OX601D & OX801D have been superseded by the OX901D so there are few choices in arm length and ring size compared to 12 months ago.

Cycling deal had 175s for a while too. Not meaning to be nit-picky, but there we have it. They haven’t ever had 165.

I went for 901s from Alexcycle, was the only way to get the length/chainrings/colour that I wanted.

Sort of on topic.

What’s with this? White Industries VBDC. It took me a while to get my head around it, but the small ring must stay centred by simple physics.

It looks like these cranks have been discontinued or are all sold out. Strange move as they appeared to have sold pretty well and were very reasonably priced when compared to Rene Herse/OX901Ds.

I think they were only reasonably priced because they were on throwout. Full retail was very similar price to 901d iirc.

Just saw this question, and it clicked for me, see the square sections in the slots next to the bolt heads, I reckon they help centre the inner ring. Someone who actually owns some could confirm though :slight_smile:

naah Geoff.

Euclidian geometry.

small chainring bolt holes are a circle (you hope), slots are radial from the centre of the large ring (you hope).

the only position you can place that circle over the slots is concentric with their intersection. (with room for machining tolerances)

Thread dig, for square taper triple, the options seem to be dwindling fast.
Middleburn
TA Specialites
Sugino Alpina
WI Eno
Velo Orange look awful so thats a no go
Old m730 crank… But need 10/11 speed chainrings

Campy racing triple? Maybe strictly 9sp, but works 10sp for me as a subcompact double. What about non-square taper Shimano triples?

I’m also using a Campy 9sp triple as a subcompact 39/24 double with a 10sp Veloce front derailleur, and a 107mm BB to drop the Q-factor. Works well. Found mine NOS on ebay for next to nothing.

Yup. Mine are 40/24 with a Suntour FD, otherwise the same

8 speed XTR triple all the way.

Little ring requires spacers so you adjust depending on what type of derailleurs/shifters you’re using.

Ive been thinking about this- what about chainring availability for 10/11 s?

110bcd is easy, 74bcd is harder but I’m running XT 10 SPD stuff on a sugino ‘8 spd’ 24t little ring and a SRAM 10spd unramped 36t big ring.

Yeah? I thought 8sp Sugino’s wouldn’t like 10sp at all. Haven’t actually tried it though. I’d heard the chain drops in between the rings. Do you mean you space the middle ring inboard a bit to reduce the gap? That’d make sense.