Sunday 05/10/06 7:30am Ride?

Was thinking, it was hurting, but as last Sundays ride was such a pleasure, why not organise another ride, maybe a little futher, a little faster? What about starting at the same place as last time(city side of the Goodwill bridge)?

Sorry, I am up at the Sunshine Coast on Sunday.

I am a likely starter, will confirm.

How about a 630 start to accommodate a longer ride?

I am keen for that - provided that others are interested.

i might be in since the usual sunday hack round daisy hill isn’t happening this week.
i’m a bit worried tho. what is a longer distance, and how fast is a faster pace?
i’m old, slow and fat. and at least two of those aren’t changing anytime soon.

I’m on a SS mind you not a Fixie

But;

little futher - like 25/30 kilometers.
little faster - like 30 kilometers an hour.

How about Goodwill bridge to the Cootha Cafe top of Mount Cootha? -

Goodwill Bridge down the Riverside Bikeway to Toowong then Sylvan Rd then up Sir Samuel Griffith Drive.

Or

Goodwill to Nudgee Beach

what say youse?

This Sunday I’ll be taking out the Roadie, if no one from here is going to come for a ride. If you intend to please email me at:

superdupersinglespeed@gmail.com

If there’s some SS and Fixed or just Fixes coming I’ll bring my Single if not, no biggy, I’ll go Roadie.

unless it’s clear weather tomorrow I’ll be giving the ride a miss.

I’m on a SS mind you not a Fixie

When is the fixie going to be built? Any ideas of plans for a frame?

But;

little futher - like 25/30 kilometers.
little faster - like 30 kilometers an hour.

Sounds like you should join these guys if thats your interest;

[b]In the past our rides have been so anyone who turns up, doesn’t get shelled off the back. We sometimes do the river loop at speed, and other times we just do skills sessions and drink coffee. Once you get ‘fixed’ there is an very fast FIXED ride once a month, on the first friday of every month.

I would say some of our rides have been too fast, and we haven’t enjoyed ourselves as much as we should. Alot of us will now be riding track this year, so the Sat ride will be more of a catch up, chance to roll the legs over easy. [/b]

How about Goodwill bridge to the Cootha Cafe top of Mount Cootha? -

Mouth Cootha? Brilliant idea, until you get a bunch of us guys on fixed bikes with no brakes all turned downhill for 5km! I have done the downhill twice before (with a front brake), once with ndf and another time with rogaine. Sure it was fun, but wihtout brakes it would be dangerous. I would dearly like to get more fixie riders out on the weekend rides, and said ride about would put alot of fear to new people gone fixed.

Goodwill Bridge down the Riverside Bikeway to Toowong then Sylvan Rd then up Sir Samuel Griffith Drive.

This is a regular loop, good to see the roadies faces when they see the bikes.

Goodwill to Nudgee Beach

Another good ride, with hopes to maybe extend this out even further. just need to look as maps

what say youse?

If speed and distance is your thing, then roadie training rides are your best bet. If you want to put the hammer down on the fixie, come and race track out at Chandler. You want to ride with like-mined people who enjoy the challenge of riding a fixie on the streets, chat and enjoy the company…then take the ride for the laughs it provides. I think when you start to ride FIXED, you will understand. Its very different from a SS…

Yes, well, sorry, I think I made you angry, which wasn’t my intention.

At this stage, my fixie is probably going to be more like Xmas - Mid Jan, which bytheway was always ALWAYS going to have a front brake on it, and I ain’t changing that idea for you or anyone. I’ll do it soon just not this week. I probably should have gone fixed instead of the SS - but I live with the choice.

I’m looking to join The Balmoral Cycling club so that I can go race on my Roadie again, I was racing in Rockhampton every couple of Saturydays and we rode from Rocky to Emu Park to Yeppoon and back to Rocky every second Sunday. 6:00am until about 10:30 - 11:00 It was 135 kilometers total distance. Never on a FIXED!

Re: Mount Cootha - I would expect that people would either ride with a front brake or just not go up it. I wasn’t saying that I think people should ride down the hill with ‘no brakes’ from what I recall you were the only person not running brakes on that Sunday. I just thought that people would run brakes. Wasn’t it you that said “You can modulate your speed down hill with your legs” I figured that meant if you wanted to go slow down hill you could. I’ve never ridden FIXED.

I don’t care how far the ride is - I just want to ride. I just like to ride get the fat burning.

I was just simply looking for something a little further at a higher RPM than what we did on the Sunday we rode around the city. I, personally, just like to put an effort in when I ride, I am not making any comment of you, your friends, or your skills. I had never ridden with or on a FIXED before so I wasn’t to know.

1. Nudgee Beach sounds like a great ride agreed.
  2. Goodwill to Milton sounds like it’d be an awesome piss take on the Roadie riders.
  3. Cootha still sounds like a great ride - PROVIDED YOU RUN IT WITH BRAKES!!!

I guess we’ll see just how fast and far I want to ride when I do get a FIXED. I was kind of hoping to race FIXED in 07 anyway.

Anyway, I appologies if I have offended you Rhino, not my intention. I don’t want to make enemies, I just want to ride. Maybe when I go FIXED we’ll get on better.

Cheers for the ride.

I was running no brakes that day too Swanky and can tell you that my legs knew they had been riding by the end.It was my first Fixed road ride and resisting your pedals means that you are using completely different muscles than you usually use when riding. As a result it provided quite a good work out even at that slow speed. Perhaps your concerns about the ride being such a slow pace stem from the fact that your were riding a freewheel bike?? I would suggest I would have found the ride a little on the slow side if I had been on my SS or my roadie too.
rhino may have said that you can modulate your speed on a fixie by resisting the pedals (and you can), but that is a very different thing to being able to do so down Mt Coot-tha I would suggest.

I am with Rhino though. I charge around at track (when I get there :roll: ), on my roadie and on my MTB. I liked the fixie road ride because it was casual with no particular place to be and at a cruisey pace.