Super Commuting Tips...

We all like to think we’re hardcore cyclists, but for the majority of us commuting is a major part of our cycling experience. Super commuter cycling tips:

Tip 1:
heatseeker once told me about how to keep your work shirts nice and uncreased in your bag- iron shirt and place in tupperware container. I tried it this morning and it worked pretty well thanks!

Man, I never get to commute by cycle :frowning:
I feel like I’m missing out.

That said, put a spare tube in your bag, 10 minutes later than usual is better than 30 minutes cos you had to walk.

I’m going to try this very thing tommorow. Thanks for the tip. My only commuter tip is do not visit the BNA commuter forums, strange folk there… god forbid you ride without a fluro vest on…

What do you need to worry about shirts for?

@Snowflake: You win.

I just roll my shirts up after ironing, no creases.

Do not post a reply unless you have a super commuter tip… :slight_smile:

I commute in my work clothes but I still keep a spare set of dry clothes at work just in case I get caught out by a freak storm on the way into the office. Has saved me on a couple of occasions.

I always have a pump, inner tube and tyre levers in my bag. I also keep an inner tube at work just in case.

I commute everyday…have a locker/iron at work so don’t need to carry clothes although once or twice a week I’ll take in a new shirt.
Tips from me is
1-do not lose your cool at tradies when they want to run you down.
2-kiss your loved ones in the morning before you leave and tell them you love them
3-expect the unexpected
4-council buses, young girls in small cars and tradies want to kill you

Carry spare batteries and have more than one set of lights.

Good point. I reckon I do pretty well with commuting but only having one front light caught me out this winter.

My tip is to go commando at work. One less item to haul back and forth. Oh… and better to be late than dead. No red light running or death wish moves. It’s only a commute not Monstertrack.

1. Put a bell on your bike, $60 fine if the cops catch you without one. Better yet, get an air zound!
  2. Put reflectors on, same thing if you get caught.
  3. Put lights on your bikes, same thing if you get caught.
  4. Wear as much reflective material as possible, you don’t want a stranger explaining to your loved ones/police, “I just couldn’t see him/her”.
  5. Practice changing a tyre, because you’ll get a flat in the worst possible place.
  6. Carry an emergency kit, tube, levers, pump, is the minimum.
  7. Get used to doing headchecks, and arm signals. Gloves with reflective material can help for night time hand signals.
  8. Don’t ride on footpaths, it’s illegal*
  9. Get a decent bike lock, don’t skimp.
  10. Avoid going past pubs, either late at night or early in the morning, Drunks and glass don’t mix with bikes.
  11. Ride defensively, you’re the safe rider everyone else is dangerous. Because you’ll always lose the battle with cars/buses/trams/trucks/motorbikes

Dyno lights are now quite cheap for an excellent lighting system. No batteries, always there.

Velo Orange apparently have a very good hub in the pipeline, and already stock a super cheap but still crazy bright Spanninga light. As always, Commuter Cycles & Cheeky Transport can hook you up.

Build up a commuter bike with full fenders and fatter tyres.
Keep a fat D-Lock at work rather than carting the thing around.

The three that I try to always abide by:

1. Be Predictible. The only time I have seen someone get hit, they slowed as if they were about to turn left before cutting across the road on the right. Back wheel clipped…head over tit.

2. Be visible. I wrap my backpack in a hi-vis vest - good for 2 reasons. 1 - I am not wearing it and feeling lame, 2 - Having it on the bag means people see it, as opposed to me wearing it and having my bag block it (I am always amazed when I see others doing this).

3. Always use hand signals, be it to inform other riders or drivers. The majority of times I have nearly had an accident it is because a car has not noticed me or a rider ahead slams on their brakes. I always (try to) make sure that I signal and look to see that the driver sees me, and I try to always point out glass on the road or if I am slowing down.

Oh and rain prep - I keep jacket at work, in case I need it riding home when the weather changes and I keep a little waterproof bag inside my bag, so electronics don’t get waterdamaged. And learn how to make makeshift front mudguards for the down tube.

remember that commuting is a race. If someone is in front of you, then you are LOSING that race.

Insist on track standing at every light - if you can’t track stand, just ride VERY slowly into the middle of the intersection - with any luck, just before you’re about to fall over the light will go green and you’ll look like you’re in complete control.

When riding your bike down the swanston street footpath (to avoid all the pedestrians and horse shit on the road) DO NOT use a bell, just simply say “'hi, do you have a spare 5 seconds to talk about saving the environment” - and people will usually run the opposite direction.

If you’re riding a single speed and you see someone on a fixie, make sure you keep peddling in order to hide your dirty secret.

DO NOT look at or talk to unicyclists - that’s exactly what they want.

Be polite and courteous to drivers, except if they are Magda Subanski, Rex Hunt, Sam Newman, and fuck it - Mel Gibson.

Sometimes it’s better to take a longer route that is safer and with less traffic/cars

Its your job to be seen/visible … especially at night. A couple of hundred dollars worth of lights and hi-vis clothing is cheap compared to burial plots or living in a wheelchair for the rest of your days.

Fat tyres, regular bike maintenance and a safe method of carrying things add to your comfort, safety and limit your chances of mechanicals and make commuting a chore. It’s never the bikes fault … it’s always your fault if something goes wrong.

Haha, Oh the shame! the shame! I can’t imagine anyone doing this, but I’m keeping my eyes peeled from now on. Jeez the shame in doing it and being caught surley must outweigh the shame they feel riding ss? There is nothing at all wrong with riding ss. Anyone out there that wants to ride fixed, bring a cog and lockring to my place, I have the tools and wont tell anyone you were too ‘cool’ to go to the bike store to get it done…

What’s with all the talk about flats??! Why don’t you guys just install tyre liners and never have to worry about flats, carrying spares and pumps and running late to work ever again. Can’t even recall the last time I had a flat…Cheap as chips and peace of mind

if you are riding down bike paths, turn your lights down, or dip them where possible when passing other riders heading in opposite direction.

we’re all impressed with your 10^9 candlepower of light, but not so excited about being completely blinded for your convenience. you generally don’t need that light intensity for bike paths.

x 1000, they won’t be told though…