TAC claims

Taken from http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/jsp/content/NavigationController.do?areaID=21&tierID=2&navID=A5BF45AF7F00000100EE887404BBE551&navLink=null&pageID=497

Definitions
Motor vehicles include motor cars, motor cycles, trucks and buses that are used, designed or intended to be used on a highway.

Under the Road Safety Act , a motor vehicle does not include:

• a railway train or tram
  • a motorised wheelchair capable of a speed of not more than 10 kms per hour
  • a golf cart, golf buggy or ride on mower that is mainly used outside the road system (and not for travelling more than 2 kms at a time when on a highway in the one direction) and is being used for the purpose for which it is manufactured;
  • self propelled vehicles, designed to be controlled by a person walking with the vehicle or a pedal cycle with a motor with an output not exceeding 200 watts
  • a self propelled vehicle used for construction that travels less than 10 kms per hour
  • an electronic scooter with an output of less than 200 watts that travels at a maximum speed not exceeding 10 kms per hour.

The up-shot is a bicycle is not covered by TAC.

And the important bit;

“A “transport accident” is defined as an incident directly caused by the driving of a motor car or motor vehicle, a railway train or a tram. To be entitled to compensation the person’s injury must also be directly caused by the driving of a motor vehicle, a railway train or a tram.”

TAC’s bold, not mine

hmmm. interesting.

i’m out of the sling. all the forms are filled out and they are going off to the TAC on Friday. hopefully i’ll be able to claim some of the medical and missed work.

off the the physio tomorrow. figure out how long till i’m back on the bike.

i used to work at a public hospital as a social worker - as long as it is reported to the police and happened on a victorian road you can make a claim - All claims can be done via the phone also.

get a reported from your treating doctor stating what happened - which should also include an ambulance report and a police report.

once claim has been lodged all reciepts should be forwarded to TAC and they will sort you out… that was how the process went 2 years ago when i was in the public health system.