the Geelong project

There are do’s and don’ts in the Baum way. Some lady rang while I was there and asked if she could have
flowers painted on her Baum frame. She was sternly told that she couldn’t.
Some might say this is harsh and that the customer is paying and should have what they want.
And I’m sure other builders can be and would be more flexible but this is not a ‘fad’ bike. This is not a piece
of whimsey. If you think it is they maybe you should look else where.
Clearly Baum has a reputation and has a clear view and direction on where this is going.
Colabs are different to single customer whimsey.
I’m not saying either is right or wrong, sure the customer is always right, doesn’t mean it’s right for you.

Clearly the Rapha colab was not flowers on a TT but serious business and I think the results showed what was
possible when two groups embark on an endeavour to show what is possible.
Having scene the final product there is no way I was going to put anything that was Rapha pink anywhere
near my bike. I’d seen what serious people with serious coin and serious intent could do.
No ‘try hard’ paints for me.

So you can have contemporary, alot of what we see in the Photostream, or the classic.
The choice is yours, within reason. Ti lends itself to more polished sections and different designs not available
to steel. The palette is virtually endless as are the combinations of colours. Match a race car, watch, perfume or favourite sporting team. There rules are simple, the name is to be clear.

And once all this is done, and not until all this is done then your slot, your cardboard boxes, the visual representation of the bikes that will be can point the most important point of all… fabrication.

did darren write that, or did you?

Are you really in a Nepalese hospital or are you ‘phone this in’ from the Goldy, Channel 9 style?

who cares.

For me it was a great insight into a brand that I’ve never had much regard for. Looking at the effort and service that seems to be provided, as well as the quality, I can see why the pricetag is somewhat justified. Those welds are beautiful.

im in room 1038 at bumrangrad international if you wanna call me? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

"Glancing around and there’s a bunch of frames on the wall, all repair jobs. Some Baum, some not. Those that aren’t are Ti frames, beloved by their owner but most likely from a bigger shop with less commitment to design. These frames nearly all have problems that are design related.

Sure they can be repaired but no-one is going to guarantee a repair when there are design issues."

all i’m saying is in 4 years of servicing baums (and i’ve seen quite a few) i’ve seen more than enough ‘design issues’. i think it pretentious, conceited and frankly hypocritical for darren baum to trash talk anyone when i’ve seen the things that have come out of the factory (pretty much all in Ti). i’m done here, i’m not gonna have a shit fight in a thread about a bike that you are clearly and understandably excited about.

To quote shortsie

Yea you have to realize its a tough crowd round here…

I think it’s an awesome build!

We can probably leave personal attacks out of the thread, they won’t get bikes built, arguing about bartape colour will.

A.davis has expressed his opinion about baum, you’ve expressed your opinion about a.davis, and your previous posts did read a bit like a sales pitch.

So let’s leave it there for now. If I wanted to get some popcorn I’d go and read about biketart’s baums instead.

Sorry Blakey there is a very boring and prolific Melbourne-centric tall poppy thing going around here.
What seems to be missed is that fact opinions are like arse holes. Every one has one. Unlike dream bikes…

Bagging out the quite honestly hard earned cash and time of others is fucking ridiculous, boring and totally tedious.

And for the record. A.davis opinions of the bikes Baum builds have been vented on this and other forums more than once.

Soz, thought this was becoming the Baum hate thread and was just hating the haters. Clearly can only do this if you’re from Melbs.
Also won’t post anything passionate as it might be interpreted as saleys.

Will stick to the facts maam.

SK, can you give me some fact based, non-saleys, non-passionate feedback on Nokon for snappier gear changing vs the regulation cable set from a well known Italian cycling parts manufacturer.

I’ve got some Yokozuna Reaction cables in the cupboard that I’ve been meaning to put on for maybe a month now (that’s right Nikcee, I still haven’t fitted them), so obviously I can’t give you a review yet but the internet seems to think that they’re better than Nokon.

I got them to improve some cable disc brakes so I’m keen to see the result, but I’m still deciding on some other changes to that bike so I’m holding off on the cables.

I’ll let you know when I get around to fitting them.

Anyone can hate, but it doesn’t need to degenerate into a personal mud slinging match, which is where it was headed.

Get those dual piston TRPs!

Nokons are a pita to fit. With campag you have to use an adaptive piece for the shifter body/cable interface as the nokons are larger than 4mm. And there is nothing to hold the segments together, so one slip and your chasing beads of alloy around the room. Both prolly non events for you as Baum will build this beast. Shifting wise they work just as well as the campag cables which is what you want as the campag cables work really well.
Another issue is they can rattle when your riding…
I’ve used the ilink cables which are much easier to set up and work on par and am now using AiCAN cables which have non of the install issues that the other too systems have ( ilinks are sensitive to liner install ) and auctally shift better. Better than campag std cables too!
If you can handle the rattling and some one else is doing the nokons for you they do look great though!

+1 on HLC, always interesting to hear first hand feed back of things like this. Looking forward to the build.

As for cables, im currently running Yokozuna on the BMC. Feels great, installation a bit tricky as i used a dremel to cut the cable as i couldnt cut it cleanly enough with regular cable cutters.

10mm longer where? I’m assuming TT, but then how would that help getting your weight forward?

Agree with the weight forward thinking but adam myerson and richard sachs (amongst many others) would disagree with other parts of the above.

higher/wider bars ftw though…

Good info but I don’t know if I could handle cables that rattled. Nokons do look cool and would certainly add bling.

Two votes for Yokozuna so I’ll investigate further. I already have a Campy cable set but if there are better options
I’m more than happy to investigate/purchase.

I really wasn’t thinking about where the bike would be longer. I assumed in the stem and either flipping the stem
if the geo worked or just having 10mm more in the HT but still with a spacer.
It was a response to a comment I made, wondering aloud, how much different the new bike geometry would be to the Crux I bought recently and if I’d made a mistake with the Crux.
Wider bars are certainly something I want to do with the Crux, stock bars are 42cm and my road bikes are all setup
with 44cm bars.

I read it as stem

And 10mm in HT, maybe sloping the TT ?