The running thread

Holy smokes! did you melt your lunar racers in the process? Well done :slight_smile:

I’m still sore from that run…in such fine shape :slight_smile: The lunar racers stink, but its not the smell of burning rubber (or lunarlon).

Ran my first ultra, UTA50, in 8hrs 27mins. Best 8hrs 27mins of my life!

Massive! Well done mate, thats a long time on your feet. What were the best and worst bits (if any of the latter)?

Amazing.

Sent you a PM…

Good to see a mini revival here. I’m 3 weeks out from my first miler!! Been training well for the last three months so super pumped to get it started now!

post dig I’ve a long history of issues that have stopped me from running just when I am enjoying it the most - muscle strains, stress fractures, tendonitis and now what I think is probably plantar fasciitis. I started the Nike Run Club app coaching plan for new runners four weeks ago hoping it would be the soft intro back into running I needed. I managed the distances and times with no issue at all however have had increasing foot pain that I believe is plantar fasciitis as well as an inflamed Achilles. I purchased new shoes halfway through the plan (Brooks Beast as I am a hefty lad - 95kegs, was previously running in old Nike Structures) and I am running exclusively on grass. I have been resting and icing and foam rolling for a week and its slowly getting better. Do you think I could start off with this plan now or should I wait until its feeling a bit better? Thoughts? Advice?

I have plantar fasciitis too. I have been foam rolling my calf, icing my foot, and trying to stretch as often as possible. Rolling a hard ball (like a squash ball) under your foot is also helpful. Waking up with the feeling that somebody’s been hitting my foot with a hammer as I sleep is the worst.

I can’t comment on the Nike plan, but I’d suggest that you take it really easy, and really minimise your running altogether until you see some improvement, if possible. Assuming you’re an overpronator, it’s also important to wear shoes with good arch support all the time. I have tried to stop wearing thongs around the house for example.

Good luck with your recovery!

Cheers. I’ve been icing and getting on the roller pretty regularly. Have been rolling with a tennis ball so might try on something firmer. Shoes could be an issue I need to look at.

I’m just regurgitating what the internet and my physio told me! Good luck to you. It’s not a fun injury to have.

Yeah, PF really sucks shit, but its so common and there is a lot of info about it online. Ive had a solid bout of it, the best thing that i found was a hockey ball, zero squish, and fuck it felt good to mash my feet with it. I know its not always a popular choice, but i was sucking down a lot of anti inflams and also applying gel topically, i was under the impression that it was nasty inflammation. I stopped running totally til it felt fine. It took a lot less time than ITB issues, which stopped training happening for a year. As long as you feel like running is something you’d like to have in your life long term, nothing is insurmountable. My advice for PF, stop running, do what you can to stop the inflammation cycle.
Shoes, I’m not up on whats great at the moment, but i like the look of the pegasus 35s.

Late race report for my miler debut at BVRT 100 a few weeks ago.

In short, DNF. I started to develop some hip discomfort after about 75km and stopped me in my tracks at 115km. I was feeling good early, pacing was maybe a touch quicker than I wanted (low 6’s) but I never felt like my cardio system was working hard. Went thru 50k in 5:15 and 100km in 12:17. The night was bloody cold which didn’t help things, every time I’d tried jog for a few mins I’d then have to hobble in the cold for a few mins before trying the process all over again. I got to the Moore CP at 115km in 15 hours or so and called it there. I just couldn’t see myself hobbling another 50km thru the cold night. The course ran a tad long at 165km~. I’ve learnt a few lessons and have the desire to come back in 2019 to finish this beast.

I might be doing blackall 100 in October, but with another baby due any day training will be very limited in the next few months.

SJ: Finished C25K and topped it off by doing a parkrun. It’ a big deal for me considering my current weight (around 105kgs) and lack of fitness.

Still unbelievable! How’s the recovery?

SJ: Did my first parkrun with Lukethespook on the weekend.

1 Like

Ayyyyy. It was good!

Nice! I did my first run in ages last night. Went up from my office to Black Mountain and back. Might check out the Parkrun near my place on Saturday

I have been running with one of my mates running groups some Wednesday mornings, doing a lap around Lake Burley Griffin (bridge to bridge 5k). They start running at 6am though, so it’s totally dark at the moment. It’s a good comfortable pace.

Not sure if I will really get into the longer running distances, I get bored pretty quickly.

That’s why I started riding more and stopped running