The science behind tube punctures?

Not sure if its a science

But for me its seams the chances of getting a flat are inversely proportional to both

1. how much stuff I’m carrying for fixing a flat
  2. how close I am to home

tyre liners, i used to have flats every week, and since i got tyre liners i get one every four months maybe and it doesn’t seem to matter what condition the tyres in

Not Scientific, its legal…Mr Murphy’s Laws

haha oh no!
Question- how do you ride to the city? St Kilda Rd, or another route?

stkilda road is the most direct way, if i get bored of that i ride down chael street to the yarra trail.

stkilda road has the advantage of being dead flat the whole way so its pretty fast

Obvious question, but how long would it take to ride to the city in the morning out of interest? Just interested in how my life is going to change. ie takes 10min from Fitzroy on the bike- yes I know, pathetic ride!

I’ve had one puncture on my fixed in three and a half years!

USE STELVIO PLUS tyres.

I skid the hell out of them and ride them all the way down to the belt and still get no punctures.

You’re really asking for it now. :-o
First rule of ptures - don’t talk about pctures.

2nd rule about them is if you talk about how many you have, you get more.

also you weigh probably about 50kg

What is the scientific explanation for this?

You shouldn’t mess will karma george, now you will most likely get one tomorrow.

Quickly touch some wood.

I think the correlation has something to do with shirt wearing or lack thereof.

Okay, so I was riding around today and the exact same thing happened again!
Pinch flat on the same rear wheel exactly after riding over some loose rocks on the side of the road, exactly the same twin slit holes in the tube… WTF am I doing wrong here?!

Admittedly, the PSI on the tyres was a little low (maybe 70-80PSI). I have been reading that pinch flats can occur when the tyre bottoms out on the rim, usually when the PSI is too low- is this correct?

So the solution is to always keep my pressure at least 110PSI then?
Blakey, snowflake, I know you keep saying that ‘punctures never happen’, but for poor folk like myself this is a continual problem.

Please help me, I feel like cycling should be more fun than this… :expressionless:

Yeah, frequent pinch flats indicate the tyre pressure is too low for the tyre width. The more narrow a tyre, the higher pressure you need, so either run a higher pressure or get fatter tyres. I’m pretty big at around 100 kg, I run around 110 psi on 23 mm front and 120 psi on a 25 mm back and haven’t had a pinch flat.

Pump your tyres up to the rated maximum and keep them there! Some people can ‘ride light’ and get away with soft tyres. It seems you can’t.

Wider tyres make it harder to pinch flat. Not riding over square-edged objects (kerbs, rocks, etc) will help most of all.

wtf Horatio?

I think you’re getting pinch flats because you can’t be fucked putting air in the tyres often enough :slight_smile:

There are 3 things that will solve all your problems, in order of importance:

1. Proper tyre pressure
  2. Tyre Liners
  3. Don’t talk about punctures

Easy for you to say, but I’m the one still suffering!
Okay, I shall follow these steps and see how it goes. Tyre liners are on their way, pressure is up, and the last step, well I’ll try too…

Hey I feel for you buddy! and you are not going crazy that is a lot of punctures.

The only thing that is constant (apart from your riding), is the rims.
You mentioned before that you have tried several tires.
Have you checked your rims for massive dents?, maybe the join (opposite to the valve) has a burr?

1. Pump it up
  2. Pop it up
  3. Schwalbe Marathon Supreme.