The start of a life long friend.

I have been eyeing off those hydros for a while now, despite the fug-ugly cylinder set up I reckon they would be ace

As for spokes you’d need something strong to deal with the torque of disc brakes. 3-cross’d DTSwiss Competition 2.0/1.8mm. Alloy nips if using an eyeletted rim. Brass with non-eyeletted rim.
Mavic XC 717 Disc would be a good rim I would imagine.

but not sure if you can get XC717 in 29er/700c

+1 for spokes.
Built my 29er wheels on Hopes and these spokes.
Probably won’t bother with alloy nipples at all.

Look at the Stans rims as they are probably the easiest to get going tubeless. I bought Sun Equalizer 23s and would probably go with ZTR Crest 29ers if I did it again or Blunt SLs so I could have white rims. Neither of these should be too wide.
Don’t think the XC717 come in 700C.
Or A23s or TB14. These rims are so hard to go past.

BB7 Roads are a good option while hydro brifter things sorts itself out. Probably stick with 160mm rotors as well.

Go the disk’s just run mechanicals until the big guys get there hydro tech dailed for road/cx.

After looking in to the costs of the hopes, mechanical it is.

After getting simultaneous pinch flats on front and rear tyres on my commute home from work the other day I am considering trying tubeless.

Some quick research and am looking at Stans ZTR Crest 29" rims
ZTR Crest 29" - 32 Hole Black

According to this article, this would work with Schwalbe tyres which I am liking.

Tires that have worked well tubeless but only on NoTubes/Stans rims:
-Hutchinson Bulldog (non-carbon)
-Hutchinson Piranha (non-carbon)
-IRD CrossFire
-Schwalbe Racing Ralph
-Ritchey Excavader
-Panaracer Cinder-X
-Specialized The Captain

Has anyone got any thoughts on this set up?

I have the Crest’s big bro, the Flows on my 26er. Love em. I think Slinky has crests on his new crabon 26er. Tubeless should be fine as long as you don’t run them with pressures too low. Having said that, the Crest has an internal width of 21mm which is on the wide side for a cross setup and I would imagine that you wouldn’t get an ideal tyre profile with a 35/38c tyre. I would instead look at something 2mm narrower like the DTSwiss TK540 Disc (Bike24 sells them cheap). These are the rims I’m putting on my cross bike.

Will you be running them as tubeless?

Has anyone here run tubeless with success?

I run Stan’s Arch rims on my cross bike - they are very similar to the Crest rim, in fact I think they may have been discontinued because they were too similar. I also have them on my 29er.

I have been running tubeless on both systems with non-tubeless tyres for a couple of years now. Tubeless works for me - only had one puncture/failure when I tore a sidewall. Even then the tyre sealed intermittantly (tear was a couple mm long…). The key to tubeless for me is the rims - once you have rims that like tubeless you can pretty much use any tyre you want.

Yes (with Stan’s rim strips - the DT Swiss have a rim bead hook designed for tubeless tyres). And yes (with 26 x 2.1-2.35, not CX tires).

The Arch is the more heavy duty XC rim.

Slinky and tom. both have experience running ghetto tubeless with non-UST tyres.

It’s alive! muahahahaha

ooooo yeah… get in between my legs you sexy thing

So the the rear spacing is 135mm?
ST diameter?

135mm rear dropout spacing.

27.2mm seat tube ID

That’s fantastic.

How would the brazing hold up to the rigors of off road mountain bicycling? Do you not have the equipment to tig?

Fillet brazing is tough as fuck, I can TIG weld but there would be no difference in strength.

Quote of the year

You’re really kicking arse, BrakeFree :slight_smile: Good on ya.