The 'what you've done to your bike today' thread

Just kick your soccer ball at it bro.

1 Like

lolzzzzzz.

just took the ol fixie out for a quick roll up lygon in search of some artisanal sourdough hot cross buns, but they’re all sold out. bought some untrendy ones from Sugardough instead.

CSB.

1 Like

love ya work!

worked very easily.

roller session this arvo i reckon. thanks smuggo.

No 8mm needed then @HeavyMetalCyclist

1 Like

thankfully not, for i do not own, nor have i ever owned, an 8mm allen key.

calling cops u grubs

1 Like

cop: “wot u do outside during COVID?”
HMC: “going to get 8mm from rolu!”
cop: “impossible. erryone knows rolu has never owned 8mm allen key. you now get very big fine for being very naughty boi”
HMC: “fuuuuuuuuuu”

2 Likes

built myself another dad bike

4 Likes

Needs more seat post.

1 Like

Speaking of seat posts finally dissolved a very long very stuck post out of a frame.

IMG_20200412_105548 IMG_20200415_084415

Took 1kg of caustic soda and a long time.

Ruined the paint around the post but it works.

Definitely could be done neater with even more time, more frame protection and lower concentrations of soda, if it’s very concentrated it boils and foams up the seat tube and spills everywhere.

1 Like

How long? I’ve got one that is looking more like it’s in need of coercion to get it out, but if its going to be a couple of weeks I won’t start it until I get a decent block of time to keep coming back to it.

It took me weeks as I was only dosing it every few days.

If you up the concentration like to 1/4 caustic to 1 cup water and keep adding more as the gurgling and smoke stop you could do it in a day but will damage paint… Few table spoons per cup of water had it fizzing like a good champagne.

Key thing is to seal the seat tube hole into the BB shell, and maybe the down tube hole into the BB shell as they sometimes connect above the BB shell. Took me a while to get this right so the soda could do its thing. Best thing I found was those rubber tops that come on cheap 1" quill stems pressed into the tube hole and then covered it in blue tack. It’s worth while checking the seal with plain water before you add the caustic solution.

Thanks for that. I need to brave Bunnings this week so will check their caustic supplies. The drain cleaner I have is OK for stripping ano but won’t dissolve much by way of posts.

I did this a while ago to get a stuck Thomson out of my old Charge Plug.

I just jammed an old Champagne cork in the top of the seatpost then pullede the cranks and bb out inverted the frame and poured the caustic solution into the seat tube via the bb shell with a hose and funnel. That might at least save some of the paint.

1 Like

I now adopt the jaseyjase method of installing seatposts – 10mm max insertion – never gets stuck.

3 Likes

Look like you did it right, better than me.
My tips are: Play-Doh doesn’t seal well, and even if it is really eroded and nearly free, don’t go anywhere near it with a screw driver to try and prise or fold it out because it’s really easy to dent the frame from the inside

Built a ghetto 2L lemonade bottle air cannister to pop the tubeless tires onto my rims.

While it worked up to 90psi without failing and the tire inflated and popped onto the rim, I couldn’t get a good seal and the bead kept sliding back into the middle.

assuming TL rims/tyres, add more tape. If not TL, add more tape and upgrade dental plan

Yeah I picked that up from Heineys website. They’re TL Bon Jon Extralights (so even floppier sidewalls than usual) onto my HED Belgium+ rims. Seems I’m out of suitable tape in the toolkit at the moment, so either an upcoming online purchase or a trip to #thebiggreenshed for some Gorilla Tape.

Have you tried, pumping up with tube in and leaving overnight?

1 Like