Time to sell all your parts Horatio (11sp DA9000 mech)

Haha the cipos make the old parlee look like cheap…

The cippo is so ugly,
The decals need to be bigger.

So much good reading on various topics here.

The comment by the shimano dude about BB30 and countering with what actual flex there is is a beauty. Hyping about crank stiffness is pretty silly imo, especially when so much else on a bike flexes well before cranks start to.

Not all compact front derailleurs are created equally. It is quite odd … front derailleur shifting is one area that is consistently bad for some people, and can be a little dodgy even if set up correctly. Brifters, BB, rear derailleurs, have all improved quite fast recently, brakes out of sight better compared to old but front derailleurs have loads of room for improvement.

Oddly enough I have set up an early 70’s Nuovo record front derailleur to shift some old 32/48 front chainrings with no ramps or pins. Effortless and perfect shifts every time. As mentioned I really like modern gear/parts but I have to ask wtf is wrong with all these overly finicky modern front derailleurs that can be so temperamental?

As far as obsolescence getting worse … i think it’s about the same. a few years ago we have BSC/French/Italian/Swisss threadings, all sorts of rims standards and sizes etc etc … it’s always been around in one form or another.

except when you are in the 53/21 and cranking a cadence of about 19 (aka the dentist gear)

big ring is for racing and descending, small ring is for everything else

The big ring is for grinding it out.

50kph pace line on a flat road… Muscling up a short climb out of the saddle… Basically any thing that call for power not cadence = big ring…

The whole drive chain is smoother and more efficient in the big ring…

You have the power load spread over more teeth and following a more gentle curve, reducing the individual tooth loading and spreading the power transfer more evenly across the chain

Plus it totally looks cooler!

Pretty sure you didn’t mean ‘gentile’… but I love it, especially since I agree with you.

Size queen !!!

Vid
MOTOR-PACED CYCLE SPEED ATTEMPT ENDS - DISASTER - British Pathe

Hahah it’s not Jewish!

for those 6 minutes the big ring is great

chain is going sideways once you get past about the 14t

Doesn’t change the fact it feels smoother and your reducing the load on each link and tooth engaged

i still rate ‘big ring for racing, small ring for training’

a recent winner of paris roubaix said that, but what would he know!

Said by the man who just tore his knee apart :stuck_out_tongue:

i reckon that’s a pretty good rule of thumb. Obviously if there is some killer tail wind, the big ring might be preferable. But. generally, i reckon it’s a good way to not make your easy rides too hard - which is what most noobs like me tend to do.

yeah there are exceptions to every rule, like you can’t go motorpacing in the small ring for example

how much motorpacing is ron the dentist doing?

It takes me a good 10 seconds sometimes to get from the small ring to the big ring. Sometimes I have to shift the rear to get the chain to move enough so that it goes up at the front. Partly because it’s sram, partly because I set my front derailleur up and CBF tooling around with it.
It’s easier to stay in the big ring for the whole time, especially when the ride you do most often looks like this:
Untitled by heyitsrhys at Garmin Connect - Details

Yep, for me compact cranks is a knee saving device.

Fuck, so many ‘rules’. If I want to unnecessarily mash I’ll mash, if I want to spin I’ll spin.

Maybe I want ride a 55/42 with 11-28 cassette…