Titanium Frames?

Yes on both counts

Also fuck belt drives

(got my retro grouch on today :D)

Contender?

2013 Merlin Extralight - Competitive Cyclist

+1…one of everything, live the dream.

fuck em so hard.

My only ever titanium tore apart half way down the seat tube on a slow training ride - just like an empty coke can does if you hold the top in one hand, the bottom in the other hand and twist backwards and forwards.

It looked nice though before that - but the clean, raw look isn’t the same when there’s no function left and you’re just looking at very expensive scrap metal.

Umm Your nickname should have been waring enough,
Is this why you stick to drinking now? hahaha

There’s no one perfect material, only the perfect application.

This thread is a NOS campag groupset wrapped in a rapha cravat…

Passion embodied, more confused than I was at the start of the thread.

We have succeeded then.

If you buy a new Ti frame from a reputable maker you should be fine no? warranty and all that.

Also I wonder all the horror stories of Ti frame breaking/issues are a related to the fact that most of the people that buy/ride them aint casual riders and so voice there issues.

I wouldn’t be too surprised if similar failure rates are present in Alu and carbon but people don’t get all crazy about it as:
A) they (generally) didn’t pay as much and B) those material don’t have the (unwarranted) ‘halo’ of immortality about them as Ti.

My 2c, I like my Ti frame though mainly for the fact that it is lighter than my old steel frame, just as ‘comfy’, it was good to travel with its brush finish, no paint/graphics to worry about (also understated) and it fits well.

All bikes fail.
I e seen 20k carbon fail and $800 alloy fail and steel fail.
Just buy what looks Copland suits you.

How about one of those ritchey ti breakaways? ti and travels well.

I know you have prob already considered it, but why not break and couple one of your steel frames and have a normal ti frame? Your one ti bike also being your one coupled bike is cool, but it limits your current buying options, where as your surly would break easily, take the bit of extra weight ok since its not a whippet now, and will be a good traveller that can do a lot wherever you are.

This is a really good idea, many stout off the shelf bikes are good candidates for S&S conversion

I like where you are coming from…

practically it is slightly too small and heavier than I would prefer, hence the thought of meeting my Ti & S&S needs in one package and actually divesting of one frame…

you are a king among men. i wanna see ALL OF THE BIKES

btw is that a 54?

A 53 and I’m better fit for a 55, got the frame for a good deal.

Not really. Poor construction is one reason but many people opt choose frames from materials that are at their limits (or close to) in terms of strength or durability so that it becomes not if but when they will fail. Conservative, sturdy, made to last is not something racers or weenies value or think is important.

Racers get 4 to 10 frames a year. Punters ride the same frames and act surprised when it fails in 5 years.

You have to watch them…I went off the grid when a huge discount was on and missed it, watched like a hawk for a couple of months until roughly the same discount came on again.

I had a titanium colnago for a short period. FLEX!
Bought a new frame.

My Dean’s a fucken brick.

Ti ain’t Ti, Sol.