[TWBD] Mt Despair (Sun 23rd Oct)

Here are the details for the next “There Will Be Dirt” ride :

There Will Be Dirt #23

Visiting : Hurstbridge, Kinglake, Mt Despair
Distance : 125km
When : Sunday 23rd October, 9:30am @ Hurstbridge train station
Where : TWBD 23 - Mt Despair in VIC, Australia | Bike Map | MapMyRIDE

Here’s a train-friendly ride a bit closer to home. We’ll start at Hurstbridge train station and head up to Kinglake via Bowden Spur Rd which is steep and all dirt. Then we’ll fly down the other side, dive into the Toolangi State Forest and make our way to the summit of Mt Despair. We’ll follow the power lines back towards Kinglake and climb up and over via Captains Creek Rd before rolling back down to Hurstbridge for tea and scones.

This one’s relatively short and close to home but there’s a significant amount of climbing, largely on dirt. An accessible yet challenging ride.

See ya there!

===============================

What’s all this then?

This is a series of road rides where “road” may include smooth bitumen, bike track, potholed country roads, gravel/dirt roads and singletrack, all in the same ride. There may be significant climbs and the distance will be over 100km.

The emphasis is on getting out into the countryside, off the beaten track, the smaller and more obscure the road the better. I’ll be riding a cyclocross bike (or something w/drop bars) but all bikes are welcome. Don’t ride something you’re afraid to get dirty. Rides continue rain/hail/shine.

will be there!
angry: could you bring my straps on the day? i don’t think i’ll need them before then

Yep, no problem.

I reckon I might make this one.

hmm, sunday pay for 8 hrs, or this…?

sidenote, i’m very broke

Last cross race of the year*

both will likely be different but equal amounts of suffering.

*For now at least.

Bump! This Sunday. Looks like it’ll be pretty warm (23deg) with light winds. There’s about 50km between water taps so bring 2 bidons minimum or a camelbak or there’s a couple of creeks/rivers to fill up at if you’re game - I’ll bring enough water purification tablets for everyone.

Did I mention there’s a lot of climbing on this one? :slight_smile:

See ya there!

I’m in now.

count me in as well.

nah, out. gonna ride the roadie instead. have fun doods.

Full story here :

There Will Be Dirt: Mt Despair

IMG_2895 by king of fishes, on Flickr

was waiting for this full report to come out!

thanks for the story angry, sounds like it was an enjoyable despair

hopefully i can make it next time :slight_smile:

Awesome country side, nice story angry. I would like to have a go at one of these when I get more fit, only got the dually for that sort of thing. I’ll have a crack at a shorter one in the future regardless.

I took the CX bike for a nice stroll up Bowden Spur today. God, it’s brutal!